[KBoards] New TOS

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Phoenix

[KBoards] New TOS

Post by Phoenix » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Anyone thinking of signing onto Kboards forum should be aware that the forum was recently sold and is no longer under the control of its founder. With that sale, the new owners have introduced troubling ads as revenue generators, and also a new TOS which I will post here and also provide a link to the ongoing discussion of said changes.

"You agree to grant to KBOARDS.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information you submit to any public areas, chat rooms, bulletin boards, newsgroups or forums of KBOARDS.COM or which you provide by email or any other means to KBOARDS.COM and in any media now known or hereafter developed. Further, you grant to KBOARDS.COM the right to use your name and or user name in connection with the submitted materials and other information as well as in connection with all advertising, marketing and promotional material related thereto, together with use on any other VerticalScope Inc. web sites. You agree that you shall have no recourse against VerticalScope Inc. for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in your communications to KBOARDS.COM."

The link...https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,267677.0.html

It is troubling enough to make authors very nervous about anything they may have written in PMs or on the public forum. Many are already deleting their profiles and messages. They are actively searching for alternative forums at this point unless something is done.

Leo

Re: [KBoards] New TOS

Post by Leo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Phoenix, I'm here from KB, I'm jumping ship having read their new TOS.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Welcome aboard Leo, glad to have you here. We may not be as sophisticated a forum as KB, but I really dislike the new TOS there. Like anything, it takes some time for things to get a move on. We have a great bunch of moderators here attempting to keep the spam in check every day. It does slip in unfortunately, but we zap em when they do.

djmills

Post by djmills » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Like Leo, I too signed up here.
Now I have to figure out how to delete my profile back on KBoards.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:33 pm

djmills wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:17 pm
Like Leo, I too signed up here.
Now I have to figure out how to delete my profile back on KBoards.
Welcome djmills. I hope you find our forum helpful and informative. We have some very experienced authors/publishers here with a wealth of technical expertise or services to offer.

I have let it be known on KB that I do not consent to the new TOS and I PMed the administrator, advising him to make a comment on the evolving thread. I will wait to see if he responds before trying to delete my account there. However, I did delete all PMs and altered my profile to one of 'anonymity'.

mjl1966

Post by mjl1966 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Another KB refugee here. It was time for something new and different anyway.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:04 pm

mjl1966 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:34 pm
Another KB refugee here. It was time for something new and different anyway.
Welcome from all of us here. I hope you find it a worthwhile experience.