[CS Embedding] Embedding PDF

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
GoMePub2

[CS Embedding] Embedding PDF

Post by GoMePub2 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Since my uploads are now getting reject for lack of proper embedding, I need someone to explain embedding within AdobeReader.
I found the following in the CS community and can decipher/understand/accomplish parts 1 and 2.
But 3 is a mystery to me. It's say to go to things that are not there.
Can someone please explain it step by step so that I can (for once) upload a properly embedded file.
Original documents are created in word. Generally there are no images.
~ KAY

Here is my procedure to get embedded font and images of highest possible resolution in your PDF.
Process to save .docx files as the HIGHEST resolution PDF files with embedded FONTS

1) within the .docx file:
file -> options -> save
check EMBED FONTS
uncheck ONLY ...
uncheck SYSTEM ...
file -> options -> advanced (Image Size and Quality)
check DONT COMPRESS IMAGES
220 dpi

2) perform a SAVE AS to create a temporary PDF file
type = PDF
Options uncheck ISO
uncheck BITMAP
uncheck ENCRPYT

tools -> save options
check EMBED FONTS
uncheck EBMDED ONLY THE CHAR...
uncheck DO NOT EMBED COMMON SYSTEM FONTS

tools -> advanced (Image Size and Quality)
check DONT COMPRESS
220 dpi

3) open the temporary PDF file in Acrobat
We are going to embed the FONTS if necessary, and then save the final pdf
file -> properties
check if the file includes the FONTS you require
file -> print
name = Adobe PDF
-> properties
uncheck RELY ON SYSTEM FONTS
set PAGE SIZE to 6x9 (or whatever you require)
Choose preset High Quality Print 2
SAVE AS final-output.pdf

walton
Site Admin

Re: [CS Embedding] Embedding PDF

Post by walton » Fri May 11, 2018 9:58 am

First, you need to understand that there are two basic kinds of fonts in use today: TrueType (.ttf) and OpenType (.otf). The file name extension distinguises the two: e.g. arial.ttf or minion_pro.otf.

From our point of view they are the same. OTF was an improvement of TTF. All Adobe fonts, for example, are OTF.

Microsoft made the decision that, although they were involved in the development of the OTF fromat, OTF fonts will not:
  • Embed in Word files (regardless of what settings we choose)
  • Embed in PDFs made using Word's Save as PDF feature.

However, we can use OTF fonts with Word if we create a PDF using a PDF conversion program. I use Adobe Acrobat, the gold (read $$$$) standard. But I have also tested a number of free conversion programs: primoPDF, doPDF, cutePDF, PDF995, OpenOffice. They all work well; but only Acrobat will permit a PDF/X-1a or PDF/X-3 PDF.

OpenOffice: you can open a Word file in OO, then File > Export to PDF. From my experience, OO will preserve all of the Word file's formatting.

The other programs works as virtual printers. FIle > Print > select printer (e.g. Adobe PDF). In these programs you will have to set the paper/trim/output size to what your Word file is set to (or, in rare situations, you might want to change the paper size). If you don't, the trim will default to 8.5 x 11. Also: if asked, select embed or download fonts; choose the highest quality when asked.

When you create the PDF, open it in Reader. Set View > Page Display > Two Page View, and select Show Cover in Two Page View. This will display your book in reader's spreads, as it will be printed. Go to File > Properties > Fonts and check that all of your fonts are displayed:

In Word, if you select to make a word bold italic, it will do it whether there is a bold italic font, or not (this is called a faux or synthetic font).

You might or might not be able to tell by looking is the bold italic or itlic, etc., is synthetic. In Properties > Fonts you can see if the font is there or not.

Another, related issue, is that if you open a PDF on your machine and a font is not embedded, the file will look correct. When the PDF opens, it will look for the fonts, if they are not embedded, it will look in your font folder. Only if you open it on a different machine, which does not have the font(s), will Reader substitute fonts and usually mess up your formatting. Then you might be able to see the issues.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:54 pm

So how do we know which fonts are .ttf?
Is there some sort of master list somewhere that tells which fonts in Word are "safe" to use because they will embed automatically?
~ Kay

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Sun May 13, 2018 10:46 am

The file name indicates the kind of format: arial.ttf (TrueType) vs. minion_pro (OpenType).

Navigate to the font folder (in most PCs: C:/Windows/Fonts). Then click on the font(s) you are interested in then click on properties. On the General tab, you can see the kind of font it is.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Perfect! Thank you!
~ KAY