[ISBN Question] POD and ISBNs for international research associates

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
stacy734

[ISBN Question] POD and ISBNs for international research associates

Post by stacy734 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:26 am

Hi everyone,

I work with interns at a large natural history museum. The interns conduct research for 6 months to 2 years then normally publish their results at the end. Some publish in research journals, but an increasing number have book-length works they would like to publish as books. I will be giving a presentation on POD to this group of international interns, and will have a section on ISBNs: what they are, why you need one, and the usual pros and cons of getting your own vs. using a free one. My question: I have not been able to find which countries have free ISBNs. I know Canada does, but does any other country offer free ones to its citizens? I went picking through a few ISBN agencies of other countries but haven't been able to find this information. Does anyone know?

Good to see you all here!

Stacy (AKA Oreohelix).

walton
Site Admin

Re: [ISBN Question] POD and ISBNs for international research associates

Post by walton » Thu May 03, 2018 11:23 am

I tried that a few years ago--which countries have free ISBN's, which countries have ISBN agencies, which countries offer copyright registration--I didn't get far. All of which is to say, I can't help. I would have thought that the ISBN information would be on isbnagency.

You may have to contact each agency.

Glad to see you here!
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.