[INGRAMSPARK] Cover PDF

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
GoMePub2

[INGRAMSPARK] Cover PDF

Post by GoMePub2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:51 am

As I always do, I have created my cover in Photoshop7.
IngramSpark want me to upload their cover template saved as a PDF/x-1a:2001.
Unfortunately, PS7 is too old and does not give me that option.
Can anyone suggest a FREE program that will allow me to do this?
~ Kay

walton
Site Admin

Re: [INGRAMSPARK] Cover PDF

Post by walton » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:23 pm

If you flatten the image and save as a JPG, you could open it in Scribus or PagePlus. These are desktop publishing programs. You would have to create a new file the the cover size (including the bleed. Then insert the cover image. Scribus is free, PagePlus, which is no longer supported by Serif, is, last time I checked, around $30. I believe that both programs will export to PDF/X-1a.

If that does not work, let me know, I could convert the file.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

danwiz

Post by danwiz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 pm

PS7 certainly will allow you to save as PDF. I am using Photoshop CS5 and I can save as PDF and this is the software which I always use to create all of my covers, using the PDF:X1-a preset for IS and the PDF:X3 for CS.

Click on File, Save and under the format field, select Photoshop PDF and then it will give you some prompts and ask you about which preset you want to use.

If your cover image has layers, flatten the image before you save it and it will reduce the file size significantly. After you save as PDF then you might also want to save as JPG so that you have a good image format to use on your website.

Be careful NOT to save it as a Photoshop file (PSD) after you flatten it because then you will never have a chance to edit the various layers again.
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 am

Thanks everyone.
So my next question is this ...
The template is 72 pixels/inch.
My cover is created at 300 pixels/inch.
Do I change the cover image to 72 pixels/inch?
But if I did that, wouldn't it reduce the quality of the cover?
~ KAY

PS. Dan I just tried what you suggested and unfortunately those options are NOT available on PS7.
Your Photoshop CS5 is newer then the old PS7.

danwiz

Post by danwiz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:44 am

Okay, I assumed that something with a 5 was older than something with a 7 in the name, but I forgot that they (Adobe) changed the entire numbering system when they went to the "CS" stuff. I just did a bit of research and CS5 is actually PS 12.0. So, sorry, please forgive my ignorance on the matter.

Your template is 72 dpi? Where did you get it? I believe that you may have made an incorrect selection of something when you first opened the file, it has to be 300 dpi for your cover to be 300 dpi.
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php