[CS INTERIOR REVIEWER] Question

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Coral

[CS INTERIOR REVIEWER] Question

Post by Coral » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:51 pm

CreateSpace- I am publishing a paperback with CreateSpace. I naturally elected to use Interior Reviewer, because how else am I going to know what my book will look like before it goes to print? Hey, the prompts are asking me to enter my name again, select trim size again etc., even to upload the file again- when I did all that for CreateSpace already? This is creepy- it makes it look like I will end up with two versions of the same thing. Is this normal?

I added the [bracketed] tag to your post title and changed the overall title. (moderator)

danwiz

Re: [CS INTERIOR REVIEWER] Question

Post by danwiz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:34 pm

You did something incorrectly is the only possible answer to this question. I can't even begin to guess what you did, but you should have had the option to use the Interior Reviewer (IR) immediately after you uploaded the file, you should not have even been at a place that might have asked for your name or anything else.

It seems possible that you are referring to the Digital Proofing tool. If you are, then here is the procedure you should have followed.
1. Go to your dashboard
2. Click on the book title
3. Under the "Review" tab click on "Proof Your Book"
4. Then you have two choices and you should use them both.
4a. Use the Digital Proofer AND
4b. Download the Custom-Generated PDF Proof.
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

Coral

Post by Coral » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:54 am

Hi thank you but I can't click on "Proof your book." It's frozen. I'm hoping that's because the cover's not up yet, as the cover designer and I are putting the final touches to that file. Well, I hope that's the reason!

Seisa

Post by Seisa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:31 am

You can't use the Digital Proofer until both the interior and cover are complete and after CS has reviewed and approved both.

As noted above, however, the Internal Reviewer should be available after uploading the interior file. (But I don't use it, so I can't advise on how it works or how to access it.)
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: http://sleepingcatpress.com/store.html

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:36 am

Your first question, I naturally elected to use Interior Reviewer, because how else am I going to know what my book will look like before it goes to print?, deserves a full answer.

In Word you cannot see your book in reader's spreads, that is, where page 1 is on the right, then 2-3, 4-5, etc., except in Print Preview, which is not convenient. But you can make a PDF. If you don't have images in your book, it's easy: Save as PDF. Then open the book in Reader, and set View > Page Display > Two Page View and also tick Show Cover in Two Page View. If I'm working in Word, I will do this frequently. Now you can see how your book will look printed. Because the desktop is different, you will see things differently, which means you will probably find things that need correcting in the PDF that you missed in the Word file. I always do!

Do not upload a Word file. Simply, do not. Yes, CS will convert your file to PDF, but much can go wrong. CS prints from PDFs. If we supply the PDF, we can see exactly what should print and how. Even if CS has everything to make a good conversion, different operating systems handle fonts differently. This could mean that characters are different sizes--true, maybe by only a few ten thousandths of an inch, or less, but that can be enough to cause a paragraph here or there to increase or decrease by a line. If the formatting gods are against you, that could mean the formatting errors ripple through your entire book going forward from that place.

If the PDF is the facsimile of your book as you designed and formatted it, does that mean you shouldn't order a printed proof? No. You should/must order a printed proof. There are things that could look right in the PDF but do not print correctly. I had a book set in Times New Roman, arguably one of the most common fonts in the western world. That file passed every text related preflight test that Acrobat has. Nonetheless, chunks of text printed as little boxes. (Often when a character cannot be found it will print as a little box.) If I relied solely on my PDF, and the Digital Proofer, I would not have discovered this problem.

And I should add that the InteriorReviewer is not reliable. Most often, when it is not correct, there are images in the book. However, unreliable is unreliable. Use it to see if there are obvious and easy things wrong, e.g. text outside the permitted margins, but other wise, I advise familiarizing yourself with the PDF Submission Specifications (you can find it on the CS site, or on my free page, link below), and then examining your PDF very very carefully before uploading it.

You probably didn't want this long an answer, but rather than say, "Create a PDF and upload it," I thought you should know why.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Coral

Post by Coral » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:26 am

Thank you very much everybody for your help. I've decided not to use Interior Reviewer now- it was trouble from the start. Still waiting on the cover, and when it comes I'll be very glad to get around to proofing.
One more question though about this printed proof- is there any way they can send it scanned as an email? Or does it have to come physically in the mail? I'd be waiting a while for the mail, as I live in Australia, and that would push the date of the release back a bit. But I will do it though if it's the only way to ensure there are no errors. I am meticulous, and I'm not ending up with egg on my face! ;)

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 am

You'll want to get Michelle's answer, she is in Australia, too.

There are several reasons for getting a printed proof. If all you want is "scanned as an email," literally scanning a book, takes a lot of time. I've done it for several clients. The closest practical alternative would be the digital PDF proof, but it's not really any better than the PDF you uploaded. But you're right about scanning, because what you want to see is every page. Things can happen in printing, gathering, binding, and trimming.

The other reason you want the printed proof, is that it is a contract proof. That is it shows what the printer can produce from your files, and your acceptance shows that it is what you want your customers to get. It's "proof" of the agreement between you and CS. When you do accept the printed proof, keep it! It is your reference if something happens in the future.

All that said, see what Michelle says. Or, send ask her.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi Coral, another Aussie here. Once your book has been approved by the review process, you are offered a downloadable PDF of the manuscript. If you simply cannot wait for the physical proof of the book to arrive, it is the next best thing as it shows you exactly how your book will look. I prefer to look at the physical proof for my final fix-ups, but that is just me. BTW, don't go solely on the ETA provided by CS for your proof to arrive, they give the worst case scenario.
Cheers,
Joe.

Coral

Post by Coral » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Thank you Phoenix. Hi Walton, how do I "send ask her"? I assume that means get in touch directly with Michelle- I haven't worked out how to do that on this forum.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:17 pm

I don't print with CS anymore, so have no comments about how long it will take to get here. I think the last proof I received from CS was in 2010, and it took 3 weeks to get here -- 6 weeks for larger orders.

I recommend all Australian self-publishers use IngramSpark instead -- there are benefits to shipping times, printing and shipping costs, royalty payments, and worldwide availability that far exceeds what CS can offer.
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- where books are an adventure. See our latest releases: