[KDP PAPERBACK BETA] Full Bleed, formatting etc

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
KIALea

[KDP PAPERBACK BETA] Full Bleed, formatting etc

Post by KIALea » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:02 am

Hello

I am finding the KDP beta easier to use than Createspace to get a rough list price on my full colour book, I will need to be offering a lite version as for a cook book full colour is more valuable than content, so i will be breaking it into a lite edition 1 etc. which means to see the list price now means i can add more value to my readers as im not so worried about royalties as i am the pages i want to offer them...

Anyway when im selection the book to upload in CS its saying i can only select full bleed colour in PDF print ready version, so its grayed out. But how does it know i dont have a PDF version already? or maybe its because i have loaded a word one for now? should i remove and restart..

Thanks for any help.

walton
Site Admin

Re: [KDP PAPERBACK BETA] Full Bleed, formatting etc

Post by walton » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:26 am

KDP Print says:

Bleed
If you want your images to bleed to the edges of your pages, extend them 0.125” (3 mm) beyond
the final trim size from the top, bottom, and outer edges for your manuscript, and on all edges for a
cover file.
Format your PDF manuscript at 0.25” (6 mm) higher and 0.125” (3 mm) wider than your selected trim
size in order to print the full bleed area.
Special.Instructions.for.Word.(DOC./.DOCX),.HTML.or.RTF.Manuscript.Files
If you use a Word (DOC / DOCX), HTML or RTF file, you will not have the option to choose “Bleed”
even if you have images or elements that touch the edges of a page. KDP will automatically format
these files and show you a preview. We recommend submitting PDFs for books with bleed.
(Pg 10 KDP Print Publishing Guidelines )

I can't think of a single good reason not to make your own PDF to upload. When you do, you should open it in Reader then set it to View > Page Display > Two Page View and tick Show Cover in Two Page View. You will see the book in reader's spreads, as it will print. Examine the file very carefully, page by page, line by line.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

KIALea

Post by KIALea » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks Walton, It is clear that i need to use a PFD file but the button is just grayed out, i wonder if its because i already loaded a word file, i will try to remove that first and load a PDF.

Do i need to use a special program to convert to PDF to keep my 300dpi pics at the same good quality?

Thanks for all your continued help!

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:11 pm

KDP still hasn't got its act together with their paperback program, and still no author copies available. I would not go that route if I were you. CS or IS is the better way to go.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:21 pm

I recently posted my CS vs KDP chart on the CS forum. I was corrected that KDP now does have printed proofs and author copies. And my comment that CS was the clear way to go was questioned.

I still cannot see any good reason to go with KDP Print. My reasons are perhaps less important for most people: custom trim sizes, acceptance of images less than 300 dpi, no minimums for rules and type sizes, etc.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks Walton, I was not aware that proofs and author copies were now available through KDP. I still won't go there for paperbacks until CS is gone, though. I hate the IS set-up and publishing process, I give up about half way through each time I went there. Everything has to be done manually even separate pricing for the different countries. I will only go there once I am desperate I think.
Joe.

KIALea

Post by KIALea » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:30 am

Hi thanks,

from what i can see they are the same print pricing anyway so may as well go with CS i guess.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 am

If you use KDP Print, please keep us posted. It should be obvious that many of us haven't used KPD, nor do we want to. So input from you is important.
Walton