[FORMATTING] large document

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
PhoenixNicholson

[FORMATTING] large document

Post by PhoenixNicholson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:22 pm

My latest project is over 600 pages.
Every section has been proofread, edited and checked for grammar/spelling.
The hurdle facing me now is
In multi page view, it all looks neatly organized, but is it mandatory that I insert page breaks between chapters?
Without them, will some wierd voodoo occur between my tidy file and the printing process?
Will transporting it from Word to a PDF throw off all the intended balance?

Second challenge, the dreaded Numbering task.
eeek

Michelle

Re: [FORMATTING] large document

Post by Michelle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 pm

You must be very brave and patient to want to format such a large document in Word.

Unless you want chapters to start immediately after the last one, on the same page, you will need page breaks.

To get your page numbering and header right, you'll also need to learn about section breaks.

Good luck!
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- where books are an adventure. See our latest releases:

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:15 am

Several things:

Immediately . . . make a copy of your working file. Save that file frequently. At least once a day, make a copy if it, and work with the new copy. I rename my files: my_book_rev001.doc, my_book_rev002.doc, my_book_rev003.doc . . . If the file corrupts, (and at the end of a project when you are fussing with pagination and headers/footers is when the sleeping jester, which ships with Word, wakes and gets up to mischief) it is handy to have a good, clean, backup file.

Use Section Breaks > Next Page to separate sections (front matter stuff, chapters, etc.) Remember: you probably have Different first pages and Different Odd and Even Pages selected, so you will have to fiddle with up to threepages for each section, depending on the section length. You will use linking (Same as previous) and delinking (no Same as previous) to control how sections look.

PDFs: I would recommend making PDFs frequently. Open them in Reader, set it: View > Page Display > Two Page View, then select Show Cover in Two Page View. This will show you your book in reader's spreads, as it will print. Contrary to your fear: converting your file to PDF will preserve the formatting. However, you need to examine the PDF very carefully, page by page, line by line. I always find things I missed in Word or InDesign and sometimes stuff happens. Correct the Word file, make a new PDF, look at it very very carefully. Do not let CS convert your file from Word to PDF. Simply, do not!
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

PhoenixNicholson

Post by PhoenixNicholson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:25 pm

All great responses. Thanks for the tips Wombat.
No bravery here. I'm simply not comfy with any other program and too stubborn to learn.
That is, unless you can recommend one that's free.

Saving often is something I do a lot.

I struggled with Word in numbering previous books that were all less than 340 pages in length, but this one I'm really trying to nail it.

I sparingly used page breaks before, but gawked at doing it for ths one.

Might just settle on numbering the whole book as one piece and just have the numbers start on page 7 or some such

Since it is so big, I believe putting blank pages in between chapters would make it way too large.

Open for feedback always. Thanks again folks!

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Blank pages before chapters???

Traditionally, the first chapter has a blank page before it, and it starts on the right hand, odd, page. If the book has Parts, then each Part's first chapter opening page is treated the same way. Otherwise, why have a blank page in front of chapters?

Yes, this all gets a tad fussy, but it also gives you yet another chance to scan the book and catch things.

Page breaks should never be used to separate sections.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

PhoenixNicholson

Post by PhoenixNicholson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm

True
So true in many ways
Glad you led me to this forum.

Ozed

Post by Ozed » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:10 am

A free alternative to Word is Libre open office. It is so long since I used word that I can't remember how it compare. The majority of oo users on CS consider that is superior.

Regards. Ed

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 am

If you do decide to walk away from Word, I would suggest looking at a desktop publishing program. InDesign is the "gold standard" and it's pricing is pegged to the world gold index, but Scribus is free, and PagePlus, while no longer supported by Serif, was $30, when I last looked. Scribus does not have spell check nor can it do footnotes.

There is a learning curve for DTP programs, but there's a learning curve for OO. OO is itself more than a word processor but less than a DTP program.
Walton

PhoenixNicholson

Post by PhoenixNicholson » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 am

You guys are the gold standard.
Many thanks.