[POD] Print-on-Demand publishing for non-Latin alphabets

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Barry Goldstein

[POD] Print-on-Demand publishing for non-Latin alphabets

Post by Barry Goldstein » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:18 pm

ACCEPTABLE TEXT

I, like a lot of others, was kicked off CreateSpace because my Yiddish translations are in a non-Latin alphabet.

I tried Lulu, but they're more incoherent than useful (inexplicable claims that they can't distribute non-Latin book blocks). As with CS, there's no technical and no reasonable managerial reason this idiocy.

Has anyone had experience with any of the various potential outlets with publishing such texts?

Thanks.
BG

[ADMIN] Required tag added

Seisa

Re: [POD] Print-on-Demand publishing for non-Latin alphabets

Post by Seisa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:12 am

Have you looked into IngramSpark? A quick search didn't turn up anything regarding supported languages, but you could contact them to see if they have a list.
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: https://sleepingcatpress.com

Barry Goldstein

Post by Barry Goldstein » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:19 am

[POD]

I know about Ingram, Lulu (feh), Blurb, et al., but the direct experience of others is infinitely preferable to dealing with the various customer "support" "people". (Lulu was utterly useless in this regard, claiming all sorts of externally imposed, though not explained, limits on foreign text.)

BG

stacy734

Post by stacy734 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi Barry,

I switched from Createspace to IngramSpark. I publish technical books in various languages, including Japanese. I've had no problem with IS or their interface, and the one time I had a question they got back to me with an answer the next day. The drop down menu of supported languages looks like it includes everything with an ISO code. I just checked and Yiddish is listed.

They do have a charge for using them, but they also have frequent promo codes that let you do it for free. You'll have to get ISBN numbers if you've been using the free CS ones. If you already own your own ISBNs, they can transfer everything as is from CS at no charge.

I've been pleased with the quality of the book and the distribution, and the revenue. There is a 3-moth lag in payment, which is OK with me (after that the payments come every month.)

Stacy

Barry Goldstein

Post by Barry Goldstein » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks -- I signed up and we'll see how it goes. They're rather more complicated than CS was (and costly), more's the pity.

BG

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 am

Another possibility, although Spark is probably the best, is 360 Digital Books, http://www.wbsusa.com/books-article. I have not used them; but they offer many more options for paper, binding, etc. They have a minimum of something like 26 copies, and they do not directly hook into Amazon. But they are set up to work with Amazon through an Advantage account, which would keep your book in stock with Amazon.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Barry Goldstein

Post by Barry Goldstein » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi, Stacy,

I'm having trouble getting any support info from Ingram. One question they answered (I hope they're wrong): their cover templates put the bar code on what would be the English back cover, i.e., my front cover. I haven't heard whether I can supply my own cover pdf with the bar code on the Yiddish back cover.

Are any of your publications right-to-left? And if so, where did the bar code go?

Thanks very much.
BG
stacy734 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:25 pm
Hi Barry,

I switched from Createspace to IngramSpark. I publish technical books in various languages, including Japanese. I've had no problem with IS or their interface, and the one time I had a question they got back to me with an answer the next day. The drop down menu of supported languages looks like it includes everything with an ISO code. I just checked and Yiddish is listed.

They do have a charge for using them, but they also have frequent promo codes that let you do it for free. You'll have to get ISBN numbers if you've been using the free CS ones. If you already own your own ISBNs, they can transfer everything as is from CS at no charge.

I've been pleased with the quality of the book and the distribution, and the revenue. There is a 3-moth lag in payment, which is OK with me (after that the payments come every month.)

Stacy

stacy734

Post by stacy734 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi Barry,

I do have some titles in Arabic, which is a right-to-left language.
Sadly, two things:

1. The barcode will always go on the left-spine cover, which will be the front cover of a RTL book.
2. The thumbnail will always be generated from the right-spine cover, which will be the back cover of a RTL book.

I designed the front and back cover artwork to accommodate this. To be honest I didn't make an attempt to explain or negotiate, you may be able to. They are a huge international company, it's certainly possible they have a mechanism for this and I simply didn't pursue it enough.

If you find a solution to this, please do post it here.

Stacy

Barry Goldstein

Post by Barry Goldstein » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi, Stacy,

Thanks very much. I'm almost ready to try with a new manuscript. Here's hoping. I'm going to play with their cover template thingee, which will likely insist on putting the barcode on my front cover, but if they allow for uploading ready-made cover files, I'll try to get away with moving the bar code."Watch this space for future developments."

Can you send me a link to one of your Arabic books, so I can see how you did it? Thanks.

Their email support was pretty much useless on rtl issues. If I believe her (and I don't), to do rtl books one has to get a "reverse binding", available only through an account with Lightning Source (I am very befuddled about the relationship between IS and LS).

All of this makes me even more pissed off about their murdering CreateSpace (for no discernible technical or management reasons). Free and easy. Oh, well ...

BG

Seisa

Post by Seisa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Barry Goldstein wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:47 pm
I'm going to play with their cover template thingee, which will likely insist on putting the barcode on my front cover, but if they allow for uploading ready-made cover files, I'll try to get away with moving the bar code.
The InDesign cover template includes the barcode as a separate object so the designer can move it where they want it on the cover. That's not to say that they'll allow it on the right-hand cover; I have no experience with RTL books.
(I am very befuddled about the relationship between IS and LS).
They are both owned by Ingram Content Group. Lightning Source has been around for quite a while. When POD started to get more popular, Ingram created IngramSpark as its little sister to handle independent authors and small publishers with a catalogue of fewer than 30 titles. Since then, LSI only accepts new accounts from publishers with more than 30 titles in their backlist.
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: https://sleepingcatpress.com