[KDP] KDP account terminated

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
stacy734

[KDP] KDP account terminated

Post by stacy734 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a (print) book that has been on sale for 4 years, sells well, and has never generated any issues. It was moved to KDP automatically, and somehow my KDP account was unceremoniously terminated. When I wrote to ask why, I received this email:

Thank you for your email concerning the status of your account.

We terminated your account since we found book(s) in your catalog whose content cannot be read, is not coherent and readable and therefore will disappoint our customers.

(title listed)

As a result, we are upholding our previous decision to terminate your KDP account and remove all your books from Amazon.

Please note that you are not eligible for KU and KOLL royalties for the previous month.

Fortunately I has already moved this title, and all my others, to IngramSpark, and they continue to make sales on Amazon via IS. But, gee whiz, those KDP folks are kinda rough.

danwiz

Re: [KDP] KDP account terminated

Post by danwiz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Sue!! This is ridiculous. Surely, it was a problem in transferring the book from CS to KDP, and by now they should know very well that the same thing has happened to several people (according to what I am reading on the CS forums).
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

stacy734

Post by stacy734 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:50 am

Eh.

Sales are good on IngramSpark, so I'll just stick with them. I left my books on CS just to see what would happen with KDP Print, and I guess I got my answer.

I am really *really* hoping that IngramSpark doesn't do things like this. I assume because it isn't free (at the very least you have to buy an ISBN), that it weeds out the truckload of idiots that post garbage. Maybe therefore they don't need to have a knee-jerk reaction when something doesn't look right.

I don't see a lot of complaints about terminated accounts on the web like I do with KDP, so I'm assuming it's OK.

Stacy

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:47 am

Inasmuch as you seem resigned to this . . . it's safe to muse over content cannot be read, is not coherent and readable what kind of book did you publish!? certainly a wagging, moralistic, finger is in order.

But . . . sorry, I am taking excess pleasure in this, and at your expense . . . but imagine: being worried that a book "will disappoint our customers." Hallelujah, praise be, finally a book distributor that worries about not disappointing its customers!

And that you would knowingly work to undermine their good name! The shame.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

stacy734

Post by stacy734 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:55 am

Yes, that was my evil plan, to disappoint their customers! Bwahaha!

It's a technical book with some hairy-looking math formulas in it. But, all the fonts were embedded, it was a carefully reviewed pdf, and printed without problems from CS. I also submitted the same interior file to IngramSpark and it prints fine from there, too.

Anywho, I'm getting very great sales from IngramSpark, still mostly Amazon. I'm also getting surprisingly good revenue from the Espresso system in Europe. Still not sure why, maybe it's cheaper in Europe to do Espresso than have things shipped.

Either way, poo on KDP!