[KDP-CS] One Step Closer

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Phoenix

[KDP-CS] One Step Closer

Post by Phoenix » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Another nail in the CS coffin by the looks of it.
https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,265368.0.html

My guess is another year at most until CS transfers paperbacks to KDP. I will place my bet on the end of the next financial year. A pool anyone? $1 a guess.

Phoenix

Re: [KDP-CS] One Step Closer

Post by Phoenix » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:09 am

I was obviously out by a few months, but I am still closer than most of the CS stalwarts who didn't believe it was going to happen any time soon. No takers for the pool, though? A really sad day for us all to see CS go. Commiserations guys. I will wait and allow them to transfer my stuff over. Apparently, according to some who have transferred their books, anything you have in draft will not go over.

Kpub

Post by Kpub » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 am

[KDP-CS] In a separate email they've informed me that they will no longer accept books in languages written right-to-left. I typically have books that are bilingual, but with right-to-left pagination. Several years ago CS had informed me that such books could only be printed if set for a language written-right-to left. And Spark won't print RTL books.

lukekurtis

Post by lukekurtis » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Wow, that is horrible. Does that mean you suddenly will have no books? Hopefully, you at least own your own ISBNs and can then find another printing service that will do right-to-left languages?

Kpub

Post by Kpub » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:33 pm

Does that mean you suddenly will have no books? Hopefully, you at least own your own ISBNs and can then find another printing service that will do right-to-left languages?
The titles will remain available but it will be impossible to modify them in any way.

The bad part for me is that I have a right-to-left book in progress. Spark won't print RTL books; Lightning Source will but I'm not eligible for Lightning Source.

Lulu has no official bar on RTL, but no real capacity to do it, either. Users advise printing the entire book upside-down to simulate right-to-left opening. And Lulu is more expensive. And Lulu has only a few sizes available (although I could work with that).