[CREATESPACE] NEWBIE question re CS and book pictures

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
GARYR

[CREATESPACE] NEWBIE question re CS and book pictures

Post by GARYR » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:36 am

Hi guys, all help gratefully received! I'm hoping to publish a biography of a friend in the coming months (one chapter to go :)) and would like the book to have a clutch of pics, on photographic quality paper, spread over eight/10 pages or so within the book (as you'd usually find in an autobiography/biography). Can you tell me if CS facilitates such a process? Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give :) Gary.

Seisa

Re: [CREATESPACE] NEWBIE question re CS and book pictures]

Post by Seisa » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 am

What you're looking for is a "tipped in" section of different paper (glossy) with photos. No, CreateSpace does not do this, nor do any other of the major POD printers. This is something that offset printers can handle, but the POD process is not designed for it. POD prints the entire interior book block on one machine: all black & white or all color.
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: https://sleepingcatpress.com

walton
Site Admin

Re: [CREATESPACE] NEWBIE question re CS and book pictures]

Post by walton » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:38 am

CS cannot do what you want. To my knowledge none of the regular p-o-d printer can (spark, lulu, etc). BookSurge, Createspace's progenitor, did off that for a while, but they discontinued after about six months.

Check out 360 Digital Books , they are now part of Whitlock. They may still offer to tip in some number of images. They are a p-o-d printer with some differences: they have a minimum order (I think around 25-30), they do not automatically tie into Amazon (you would have an Amazon Advantage account, and they can maintain a stock, or you would), and they offer many more choices than any other printer like them, at least that I know of.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

GARYR

Re: [CREATESPACE] NEWBIE question re CS and book pictures

Post by GARYR » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 am

Guys I really appreciate your help. Back to the drawing board, but many, many thanks!

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:22 am

Here's a suggestion: do a test book. Up to 108 pages is the same price as 24 pages, for B&W. CS has a hard time with placeholder text, but you could download a Project Guttenberg book to get text. Make a book about the size you want, say 6 x 9. Drop in the text, rougly format it. Add pictures. Have it printed by CS. For about $10, and a few hours of work, you will see how your book would look, using CS. I have done B&W books with images on both white and cream stock. Although the white has better contrast, and on a side by side comparison most people would choose it, the reader doesn't have such a comparison. I still tend to favor cream stock. Here's an example (these were side by side scans of a CS printed image, no image enhancement):

CS might not be ideal . . . maybe no true p-o-d printer would be (again check out 360 Digital Books) . . . but I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

GARYR

Post by GARYR » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:40 am

That's amazing Walton, such a good suggestion. I'll give it a go. Again, thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Keep in mind that all of us were newbies at one time! Printing, commercial graphics, p-o-d, etc., are not necessarily easy. Don't hesitate to ask questions as you go. I for one, learn something every time I answer most questions.
Walton