[EBOOK] formatting

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
johnroMN

[EBOOK] formatting

Post by johnroMN » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:41 pm

I use Scrivener for writing, which offers compile into e-book format. I understand that the compile is not perfect. Any experience/opinion on best path to creating good e-pub and .mobi electronic books?

Scrivener to Word into Amazon system, B/N system?
Scrivener to Vellum to final?

Thanks,

John R

Phoenix

Re: [EBOOK] formatting

Post by Phoenix » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:11 pm

I use the free Calibre to convert my word docs into epub files. I then submit that file to KDP. I am happy enough with Calibre.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Sigil!

You can take your Scrivener ePub and open it in Sigil to clean up the file, either in the HTML/CSS code or in the WYSIWYG editor. It has a built-in validator to confirm it will work on all platforms -- especially iBooks. I just upload the ePub to KDP and the auto-conversion to Mobi works perfectly.

Calibre is fine for converting ePub to Mobi, but not great for editing the content/formatting.
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

johnroMN

Post by johnroMN » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks for the replies ... I'll try it out. Further question: If I compile e-pub out of Scrivener, should I do it with front matter, back matter and cover? Or does the surrounding stuff (particularly the cover) get brought in at the KDP stage?

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:44 am

One thing that often gets overlooked: test your e-book in as many real devices as you can. Kindle for PC, for example, is quick and easy, and I assume it will only get me 90% of the way there. Just to make up numbers, Calibre will get you 95% of the way. You still need to use a real device, and several different ones is better than one.

I use InDesign to generate the basic e-pub. Then I work on it in Sigil. Actually, I often test the epub in Sigil or Adobe Digital Editions The kind of coding that most of us were doing ten years ago, has gotten much more sophisticated. More is possible on a Kindle, but more is required in the coding. CSS, just to name one. Tweaking things like chapter opening pages, or title pages, takes a bit of back and forth.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.