[SHIPPING CHARGES] Should I charge my customer shipping?

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
tagrich

[SHIPPING CHARGES] Should I charge my customer shipping?

Post by tagrich » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:43 am

I posted this same question in the CS forum, but just to be on the safe side, I'm also posting it on here.

My quandry is whether or not to charge my customer shipping? I've already applied a 55% discount on the books, which leaves me with a profit of $277.42. Not having done any shipping to music or book stores outside of the US, I'm not sure whether I should charge shipping or not. If I don't, the shipping is going to cost:

Standard: $53.99 + $79.06 printing costs (about 6 weeks)
Expedited: $65.49 + $79.06 printing costs (about a month)
Priority: $87.49 + $79.06 printing costs (7-10 days)

Ideally I'd like to charge some shipping - if I don't it'll really eat into my profits. If I charged shipping should I decide on a flat fee over a certain number of books or charge the exact shipping (a lot!). Obviously, I want repeat orders from my customers and worry that overcharging for shipping might dissuade them re-ordering.

Any advice on this is much appreciated.

Tobe

Phoenix

Re: [SHIPPING CHARGES] Should I charge my customer shipping?

Post by Phoenix » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:40 pm

In any business, 'plus freight', is a given. It is in your best interest to research and offer the lowest possible means of shipping the goods and of course you can hide it within an averaged book price including freight, but most companies have a separate account in which to place freight charges. They then have the option of including those charges in their retail prices, or not.
I would definitely charge it, and make it very clear on their invoice.
Joe.