[FORMATTING] Serif PagePlusX5 CREATESPACE

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Sonya

[FORMATTING] Serif PagePlusX5 CREATESPACE

Post by Sonya » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:36 am

Hi Walton and all
I'm about to embark on my third paperback for Createspace. Thanks for your help with the last one.
This book is an image based book and Open Office can't cope with the graphic design I need. I am going to produce one copy in color and one in black and white. Money is a problem so I am planning on using my old copy of Serif PagePlusX5 for the book, importing images into it designed in paint.
I've googled quite a lot and read about problems using Serif to produce books for Createspace. I know this is OLD software. I wondered before I get too far along whether these problems are a killer as far as using SerifPagePlus:
1. The export setting contain printer marks which mean Createspace will reject the book. (Someone says turn these off but I have looked hard and am not clear how you do it).
2. I am concerned that since the book will be about 150 pages long and each page will be an image made in paint.net the images will either be too large/or not good enough quality. Does anyone know what size the images should ideally be saved to so that they print well and do not go over the Createspace limit? I know the interior file limit for Createspace is 400MB.
More general question; is all well at Createspace? I clicked on various forum posts and got nowhere and I see your group is possibly having a few issues with spam.
Best wishes
Sonya

Seisa

Re: [FORMATTING] Serif PagePlusX5 CREATESPACE

Post by Seisa » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 am

I've never used PagePlus so I can't answer your first question.

But as to your second question, any images should be 300 ppi at exactly the size you want them to print. If you want an image to be 3" wide and 5" tall on the page, then it must be 3 X 300 = 900 pixels wide and 5 X 300 = 1500 pixels tall. The file size is dependent on the physical size and resolution, which are the two factors you should be concerned with.
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: https://sleepingcatpress.com

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 am

Thanks Sarah.
I have been struggling on with Open Office and think I may stick with it; I've worked out how to put text over images which will print Okay and that was my main problem - when you do it in paint the text comes out all blurry on the pdf.
So now I am back to the problem of image quality. So I am making background images which cover the whole page size for the book. I'm afraid you are talking to someone who has always struggled with understanding dpi/ppi etc. Let me give you an example. One of my images for the book is 648 px wide and 1050 px high (that covers the height and width of my book). Resolution is 37.80 pixels per cm. It is 949KB saved in PNG format. It looks fine on the pdf. My images vary from 430KB to the 949KB I mentioned and are all saved in PNG. They all look fine on the pdf.
Does that sound roughly in the right ball park?
Many thanks
Sonya

Seisa

Post by Seisa » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:37 am

What is your trim size?
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: https://sleepingcatpress.com

danwiz

Post by danwiz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 am

Sonya, may I ask why you decided to save your images in the PNG format? Personally, I would use the JPG format. Why? Primarily because PNG images can contain transparency and JPG images cannot. What's the difference? Well, if any image contains transparency then CreateSpace will remove all transparency and give you a warning. This may or may not affect how they will look in the book, but you will have to really check over everything very carefully to be sure that nothing has changed in a way which makes you unhappy.

If, however, you print to PDF using the PDFX1a specification then all transparency will be removed (as far as I know), but I do not personally like to print to PDF using the X1a specification because it makes all of your images very much less saturated.

This all assumes that you are working in the RGB color range (as opposed to CMYK).
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks Sarah and Dan'l.
Sarah my trim size is the same as my other two books - 5.5" x 8.5". My other two books were largely without images. For some reason I don't understand, this time using Open Office when I insert the images at exactly those dimensions I have to make them wider than I should because something happens to them when I insert them on the page and get them to go full-size. They look stretched across the middle if I just do them 5.5" x 8.5". But they look absolutely fine in the dims I gave you.
Dan'l - REALLY pleased with your suggestion to save things in jpg. You have caught me just in time before I have to go and re-do loads of images. Will start saving them all in JPG from now on and re-do the ones I have done. Thank you.
I should say when it comes to image quality these are all background images with type on the top to create an effect in the background to show off the quotes I am using. So I am not producing a book of beautiful high quality photographs but I do want the images I am using to look clear, crisp and with good color saturation.
I have just checked and saving the images in JPG format I am getting the sort of size range from 177KB to 325KB. Does that sound reasonable?
Thank you both for your help; I can already see that Dan'l's suggestion has just saved me hours.
Best wishes
Sonya

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am

I have used PagePlus, but it has been years, and it was more to familiarize myself with the program than to replace InDesign. As for problem, I have had problems on all desktop publishing and word processing programs. Problems are not unique to PagePlus, but if all you have is PagePlus and you have problems, then PagePlus must be problematic.

CreateSpace requires a PDF. You can create a PDF in many different ways and programs. (It is true that some programs create PDFs that are different For example, I took a 5 x 8 @300 dpi RGB image and converted it to PDF from inside Photoshop using PDF/X-1a it was 8.8MB, but when I distilled the image using Acrobat Distiller, the same file was 3.7MB. I had similar results with doPDF, primoPDF, CutePDF, etc. The biggest difference was between Photoshop > PDF HighQuality vs Distiller: 12.9/MB to 1.6MB.) When you read about a problem . . . PDF made from PagePlus and submitted to CS . . . you have no idea what the problem(s) is or if the analysis is correct: "It's PagePlus."

I believe PagePlus can create a PDF/X-1a file. If so, that is something of a guarantee that the file quality is higher than some generic PDF. But by higher . . . I'm unable to really qualify that. PDF/X-1a is an ISO Standard and it must meet an array of requirements, many of which have to do with printablitiy and reliability. Does PagePlus's PDF/X-1a truly meet the ISO standard? Word's PDF/A (also an ISO standard), is not truly a PDF/A compliant file, despite their saying it is. Perhaps it's close, but no cigar!

Dan'l was dead on . . . regardless of anything else, do not use PNG, use JPG. Download my Prepress Glossary (it's free; link below) and look at the examples for JPG. JPGs are lossee, that is, information is lost in the conversion process and in the open/save/close cycle. But for most images, you won't see image degradation for many cycles, more than most of us do. JPG is the universal consumer image format. PNG is great for some things, just not printing.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:04 am

Thanks Walton that is all really helpful info.
I have followed the download links on your post and have to say I am extremely impressed and pleased with the free guides you have produced. I am in the process of reading them through and will set myself this task before I proceed further. It's obvious to me already that you have provided a mine of information built on years of experience and I just picked up that since I want my images to bleed I need to alter the dimensions of my pdf. That is vital information - imagine I had discovered that at the very end of producing my book.
I'll carry on reading and may return with more questions if I have any but just wanted to say thank you very much for producing those guides; for those of us who are on a very tight budget and have to enjoy the fact that our work is of help to others rather than of any commercial reward it is a fantastic help.
Best wishes
Sonya