[GR Giveaways] Increase sales

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
GoMePub2

[GR Giveaways] Increase sales

Post by GoMePub2 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm looking for some feedback on Goodreads Giveaways.

Has anyone had success with increase their sales as a result of having a Giveaway?
If yes, can you please share what you did for your giveaway.
Such as ... how many books, what time frame and any issues that came up.

~ KAY

Phoenix

Re: [GR Giveaways] Increase sales

Post by Phoenix » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi Kay,
I have a giveaway promotion going on at present, or should I say; starting on the 29th Dec 2017 - 29th Mar 2018, where I will be giving away ten signed copies of my second novel Daintree Denizens. My reason for doing so is purely promotional with a slight angle toward achieving a review or two. I did the same for my first novel Dumped, in which I placed a letter of congratulations with the book to the winning recipients. In that letter I also included a sentence or two about the Indie author relying on reviews to promote their books. Nothing over the top or in the least bit...spammy? I managed to get a few hundred people put the book on their to read list, and gained three reviews.

I restricted my giveaways to my country...Australia...so as not to be doomed to penury for the postage.

Did it increase my sales....no. Did I imagine it would...no. Am I disappointed with the outcome...no. As evidenced by my second promotion. I look at the long term picture that there will be at least ten hard copies of my book out there doing the rounds among relatives, friends etc, or simply being spoken about once read, good or bad. Time will tell if the promotion is worthwhile or not. I am not paying for any other forms of advertising or promotion, so the outlay is negligible. Can't hurt in other words.

Why the long time for the promotion...
I am waiting for the CS facility to reopen before ordering my stocks of books. At the same time, I wanted to publish my book this year at approximately the same time as I released my first book last year. I hope this answers a few of your questions.
BTW...I read recently that Goodreads are going to start charging the author to partake of a giveaway promotion beginning January 2018. I decided to get in early to avoid that scenario. Don't know if everyone is aware of it or not, but Goodreads is owned/governed by Amazon. At least, that is what I assumed after receiving their newsletter. I hope I am wrong.
Joe.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:13 am

Thank you for your feedback, Joe.

Like you I will be limiting my giveaway to North America. Simply due to shipping costs.
I'm hoping they don't start charging for them in the new year since my very tight fixed budget has very little wiggle room.

But with no increase in sales ... Is it worth doing at all? I guess the only way to find out is to do one, right? LOL

Over last week I've watched videos/read articles on this and some of the advice was really good.
1) only a few books at a time - most gave away 1 book per giveaway
2) short periods of time 4-10 days, alternating weeks to catch member that weren't online the first week
3) add link within description box - links to author page, blogs, website, etc
4) limit your contest area to save on costs such as shipping

I would still like to hear from others on their experience with Goodread Giveaways

~ KAY

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 am

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up ...

GOODREADS GIVEAWAYS ARE NO LONER FREE!!

As of Jan 9th, 2018, they now offer packages starting at $119. US
I missed it by 1 day. :(
~ KAY

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:57 am

GoMePub2 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 am
GOODREADS GIVEAWAYS ARE NO LONER FREE!!
Oh well, there goes that option.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:57 pm

I gave you that info about GR charging money in the new year for a giveaway back on Dec 25th? You should have done something back then.
Joe.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 am

Yep, your right, Joe.
So silly of me to be sick and not able to do anything about it.
My bad.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Bummer, sorry to hear about it Kay. All better now I hope? I only just managed to get my giveaway in before the January change took place. Can't see too many people willing to pay to give books away, doesn't make much sense. Bad enough giving away books that we have laboured on for so long. As I said previously, the promotion really didn't help to sell my books in the short term. I can only hope they have an effect long-term. I envisage a few years for me being active, so I have to wait and see.
Joe.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 am

Personally, I hoping for a free promo code!! LOL
If anyone hears of one, please post it for everyone to see and use.
~ KAY

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:05 am

I just wanted to add that Goodreads is now offering an introductory price of $59.99 US for their Giveaway standard package (50% off the $119).
the package allows up to 100 printed books OR ebooks plus a lot of promoting from Goodreads. This offer ends Jan 31, 2018

Here's link for full details.
https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1108