[INTRODUCTION] New here

Introducing yourself, making friends, chatting about writing and our books.
Forum rules
Please start your posts with a tag, for example, WRITING, NEW BOOK, etc.
smk123

[INTRODUCTION] New here

Post by smk123 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:38 am

Hi!
I just joined your group this morning. I saw the link on CS community and thought I'd join since I'm not sure what KDP community will be like. I want to be part of a publishing group so I can 'pick brains' when I encounter an issue or offer help to those new to the process. I'm by no means an expert but I do have over a dozen books published in paperback and hardcover and am willing to share what I know!

(In the spirit of full disclosure, I will tell you my existence on CS community disappeared 3 or 4 days ago. When I went to see if there was any thing new about the KDP move I discovered all my replies had been removed and I've no idea why. I can read posts but if I login to my account to try to make a comment I get an error saying the page doesn't exist. I don't comment that often, I'm not rude or a spammer, my replies have always been positive and on topic... No idea why I was blacklisted. Oh well, with CS ending I suppose it doesn't matter; its just left me scratching my head. If anyone knows what I might have done wrong, let me know so I don't repeat it here. My username was the same.)
Last edited by smk123 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danwiz

Re: [INTRODUCITON] New here

Post by danwiz » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:07 am

What name did you post under on the CS forums?
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

walton
Site Admin

Re: [INTRODUCITON] New here

Post by walton » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:23 pm

The KDP community is different. They border on snarky, although that may change. There is no apparent humor. And their answers tend to be vague and uninformed regarding print books. Some of this should change when CS people move over to KDP. But we will be interlopers for some time to come.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

smk123

Re: [INTRODUCTION] New here

Post by smk123 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:55 pm

danwiz wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:07 am
What name did you post under on the CS forums?
I think it was smk123 or it could have been NickyC... I'm not even sure, that's how infrequently I'd post! I hadn't visited the community in a few months but when the letter arrived about CS closing, I headed over to see what was going on. I sympathised with a few who were sad CS was closing, said Ingram was an option. The last question I posted was asking if there was a way to export shipping profiles. And I replied to someone (a fellow Canadian) telling them they could set up a TD American bank acct and get their royalties deposited there rather than having to meet the $100 threshold for a cheque.

I did a search of the CS community and my question is gone, my reply about the bank acct is gone...all traces of my existence are gone! It's just an odd feeling to suddenly disappear without warning.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. I think we will probably pick up a few former CS members as their end draws to a close. I have made only one recent post on the CS forum because of all the spam. I will not miss that side of things. I have made moves to migrate my paperbacks to IS, as i am unable to receive author copies or proofs from KDP in Australia. I should have made the move a long time ago.

smk123

Post by smk123 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:33 pm
Welcome to the forum. I think we will probably pick up a few former CS members as their end draws to a close. I have made only one recent post on the CS forum because of all the spam. I will not miss that side of things. I have made moves to migrate my paperbacks to IS, as i am unable to receive author copies or proofs from KDP in Australia. I should have made the move a long time ago.
Thank you, everyone, for the welcome.

Phoenix, it is really a shame that KDP won't work with the Aussies and I'm sorry you have to go through this. On the plus side I really like Ingram and the expanded distribution royalties are good. It isn't as user friendly as CS but they are working on making it more so. And, once you've published a few books, it is actually quite easy. A word of warning: when you do your imprint (publishing name) make sure you get it right the first time. I made the mistake of putting my legal name. When I realized the error, Ingram changed it for me BUT one of the distributors wouldn't update it regardless of the messages Ingram sent on my behalf. It took me over a year to get it fixed and that was only because I personally contacted the distributor to plead my case.