[WORD TO PDF] Low resolution images

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
David Wake

[WORD TO PDF] Low resolution images

Post by David Wake » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:51 am

I've been having a really hard time of it with three version of Word fighting each other over this document. My Word (Office 2016) isn't saving, exporting or printing to PDF properly. Having been along the blind alley of trying to improve the images, I now know that the images are 300dpi.

So, how to get this to work?

I've done the 'Do not compress images' and default resolution 'High Fidelity'. Changed the image sizes in Photoshop and saved as .PNG. (Also, saved from Word and checked the resultion again, and it is 300 dpi.)
Printing to PDF improved the images, but I can't change the paper size to something custom.

Can anyone recommend a Word document to PDF converter?

a-h-k

Re: [WORD TO PDF] Low resolution images

Post by a-h-k » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:44 pm

I don't use Word 2016 so I cannot vouch for this.

Here are two on line converters that I've used to convert documents produced with older versions of Word:
Word to PDF
DOCX to PDF | Zamzar
Cataloging for Publishers will teach you:
  • To catalog your book in publication, preparing it to be sold to libraries - PCN/LCCN, MARC21
  • To prepare your book for retail sale: ISBN, Bookland EAN barcode, identifying your title and maintaining sales information with R.R. Bowker Books In Print and Bookwire, ONIX, BISAC

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:40 am

I tried both of those sites - thanks for the pointers.

The first was just as bad, and the second, zamzar, coped with most of them, but not all. Some images are repeated in the book and some of these were OK, but other copies weren't. It makes little sense.

I've tried it on another computer with Office Plus 2016 and that worked. However, I don't have access to this machine all the time.

So, what to do?

Seisa

Post by Seisa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:21 am

I don't use any of these, but some of the third-party PDF applications I've seen recommended in the CS forum are CutePDF, DoPDF, and PDF995. I believe they all install as virtual printers, so you would use the Print menu option and select the application as the printer. You'll likely have to set up a custom paper size after that as well, as it seems most default to 8.5 X 11".
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: http://sleepingcatpress.com/store.html

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:42 pm

David Wake wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:40 am
I tried both of those sites - thanks for the pointers.

The first was just as bad, and the second, zamzar, coped with most of them, but not all. Some images are repeated in the book and some of these were OK, but other copies weren't. It makes little sense. . . .
I'm sorry it didn't work. Embedded pictures in Word give me no end of trouble.

This discussion (using Word 2013) may be of use to you. The author discusses various steps he took:

How do I improve document quality when converting to PDF from Word?

The recommendations are for commercial software.
Cataloging for Publishers will teach you:
  • To catalog your book in publication, preparing it to be sold to libraries - PCN/LCCN, MARC21
  • To prepare your book for retail sale: ISBN, Bookland EAN barcode, identifying your title and maintaining sales information with R.R. Bowker Books In Print and Bookwire, ONIX, BISAC

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:11 pm

I would recommend using JPGs not PNG.

Despite PNGs having been around for years, lots of programs simply have problems with them. I would therefore go with JPGs. If your quality is 92%-100%, #11 or #12, you should have absolutely no problems.

You can open and close a JPG a million times (okay, you'd have to be nuts with a ton of spare time) with no image degradation.

Simplistically, when an image is saved as a JPG, it is compressed . . . original image data is lost. It is reconstructed when the image is opened. Open/Close has only that one instance of destroying data. But if you Open/Save/Close, the image will have data removed again (when it is saved). With mediocre images, you might see some degradation between 10 to 15 Open/Save/Close cycles. But I've done tests:Image and I'm not sure that degradation is meaningful. I've done high quality images, done 50 cycles of Open/Save/Close with no signs of degradation.

I use Acrobat. If I weren't doing this for a living, I'd probably use primoPDF, or work in Open Office and use its Export to PDF feature. By the way, you can try that: simply open your Word file in OpenOffice and Export to PDF.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Gah. OpenOffice and LibreOffice may not display the graphic in the same place as Microsoft Word did.

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:09 am

walton wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:11 pm
I would recommend using JPGs not PNG.
But then you say that JPG degrades and PNG doesn't.

I've tried LibreOffice, which didn't work, but it did work better than Word. A dozen fails rather than two dozen, and it is down to three types of image (images are repeated in the book).

I'll try CutePDF and those options and report back.

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:30 pm

LibreOffice has multiple choices for exporting as .pdf: PDF/A-1a (the archive standard format) or embedding an .odf in a .pdf. I would assume the latter would be less likely to move your images around, but I guess it didn't work for you. Also, did you note that it saves .jpg at 100%? I don't know what file format "lossless" is in. Is it TIFF?

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:41 am

Summary So Far

Images have proved to be a complete pain on this project and came out in Createspace as being low res.

Images into Word
The best course is to add your images into Word, and resize there until you are happy with the layout. You then note the size of the image, and go back to Photoshop to resize the original. 1. Copy the image into a new layer, 2. Change the Canvas Size to the dimensions required and finally resize the image (the layer) while ensuring that it's 300dpi. Make sure using Image Size that all layers are 300dpi. Save this as a .PNG.

(Aside: there's an argument to use .JPG, I've never had a problem with .JPG, but my co-author insisted upon .PNG and this seems to work.)

Re-import the new image into Word.

Making the PDF
Save your Word document as PDF using PDF/1A-1a or Print Quality.

Upload this to Createspace and check it in the Interior Viewer. It should be fine, if not, then Microsoft have messed up.

Check your image first by copying it from Word and loading it into Photoshop. Use Image Size to see what it's resolution really is. If it's low, then something went wrong and you need to repeat the above to get the right resolution. If it's fine, but Createspace's Interior Viewer thinks it's low, then you've a PDF creation issue. Your Word file is fine.

Word Office 2016, Word Office 2007 and LibreOffice all have this issue to differing degrees. (Why, oh why?)

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 does not have this issue.

Cute Solution
The solution is to download CutePDF and install that. This creates a 'virtual printer', which prints to a PDF, and this works well. (So, why doesn't Word, it's clearly perfectly capable.) One snag is that it'll default to the paper size of your printer, A4 in my case. You can change this in Printer Properties, Advanced and change the size. There are lots of options for various set sizes, but it looks like there isn't a custom size - there is. It's a dashed line and 'Postscript'. Set this to you book size, 6"x9" or whatever, and then Print. It takes it's time and you will think that it hasn't worked, but check the printer queue in CutePDF and there it is. Eventually it'll ask for the file name.

This works.

Thank you
Those who helped - thank you, everyone - can have a blue blob and I feel I should have a gold star.