[WORD TO PDF] Low resolution images

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
a-h-k

Re: [WORD TO PDF] Low resolution images

Post by a-h-k » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:12 pm

I think there should be beer.

I'm going to keep what you wrote in mind. At some point soon, I'm going to be struggling with images. I don't have Photoshop, though. I particularly like your solution for resizing the image to the dimensions you want outside of the word processor.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:54 am

JPG vs PNG . . .

JPG is lossee, PNG is lossless. What gets lost, and when (JPG) balanced against usability issues (PNG) . . . I say JPG wins. If you look at the two large images (first original and 100th open/save/close), it is hard to say it's degraded, except in very small areas and highly magnified. And if you work in say Tiff, or a native file (PSD, XCF, PSP, etc.) and then convert the finished art to JPG, there's virtually no loss: nothing any of us are going to see.

Beer . . . always a good idea.

GIMP is a great program, and would be even if it cost something. Photoshop users would grumble, but that's more about where things are than what can be done. (Like going into a room a night and expecting the light switch to be some place other than where it is . . . that's 95% of the difference). There are a couple of things GIMP can't do and I don't think any of the plug-ins (there's a plug-in site where you can find thousands of plug-ins for GIMP): live styles that are constantly and forever editable, actions, full support for Lab and CMYK, etc. I haven't checked for awhile, so maybe some of these have been addressed. But most people never work in Lab or write actions, so unless you need those things, GIMP is great.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 am

walton wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:54 am
JPG vs PNG . . .
I ran into another one. The ebook version was duplicating some of the images, a line's worth of the image at the top and then it would start again. Very strange that it was some and not others, because these images were all exactly the same dimensions and resolution. The solution was to change from JPG to PNG. So, I'm a PNG convert.
GIMP is a great program, and would be even if it cost something.
My co-writer swears by GIMP, but I've always used Photoshop.
Photoshop users would grumble, but that's more about where things are than what can be done. (Like going into a room a night and expecting the light switch to be some place other than where it is . . . that's 95% of the difference).
However, as a Photoshop user, I grumble. I use two versions, one here and one at work. To rename a layer here, I right-click the layer on the list and there's a pop-up I then mouse over to. At work, you use a drop-down and then mouse over to the layer list to fill-in there. What!? If it was drop-down/pop-up box or right-click/fill-in, but they both seem to have picked options to force you all over the screen. Why change something that half works for something that half works the other way around? It's like the designers never actually used the program.
Beer . . . always a good idea.
I had so much beer.

Aaronsmava

Post by Aaronsmava » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:47 pm

if you already have acrobat pro you can open it and export as as web, word document, etc. Then you would need to edit stip out the junk.
If you dont have pro i would suggest maybe file juicer to extract the parts that will then have to be put back together into the proper pieces for modifications.

Note if it is password protected though you may run into problems here or there.

LINOwfnqz

Post by LINOwfnqz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks for that - found it
Ive just seen a low resolution spectrum which appears to show "improvement" when drizzle combine is used - trying to find out more details on the process/ method.
Ken
I trust this the auto trading system for reliable trading