[CS] New book ... bad cover

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
GoMePub2

[CS] New book ... bad cover

Post by GoMePub2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:05 am

I'm proud to say, I've published my 7th book ... Go Me!
(Hasn't gone completely through yet or I'd post my link.)

But this time they stated they needed to 'adjusted' my cover. The adjustment surprised me since I created it exactly to the required dimensions, the same way I had with the previous 6 covers. Upon receiving my proofs, the covers are blurry ... I am not impressed at all.
I've now gone back and created a new cover using Bookow's template (thank you Steve).
But NOT to my surprise, it's exactly the same dimensions as the one I normally created in PS7.
I have re-submitted the new cover, hopefully that will straighten it out.
Also not happy that I have order another proof @ $12 Canadian to check on their 'adjustment.'

If it comes back blurry again ... Not sure what to do after that.

https://www.amazon.com/Kay-D-Johnson/e/B01KFXMGCQ

Phoenix

Re: [CS] New book ... bad cover

Post by Phoenix » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:58 pm

Sorry to hear that, especially as I am waiting on tenterhooks to receive a proof copy of my second novel with a non-CS cover. I didn't receive any adjustment notices, so am hoping for the best. Walton, our head honcho here is a major player when it comes to anything pictorial so he will no doubt be able to help you if the problem persists. Good luck. What genre do you write in BTW?
Cheers,
Joe.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 am

Hope yours works out, Joe. Always a bit nerve racking wait for that little brown box to show up. LOL

That's the point ... there was no need to 'adjust' it in the first place. I had created it as I had my previous 6 covers which were fine.
It's just annoying because I've had upload another cover which will slow down the Canadian release date down another 4 days. Meaning, with the heavy holidays workload at CS plus the holiday's themselves, I'm thinking it will not become available on amazon.CA until the new year. (Most of my customers are Canadian)

Hmmm, genre? Fiction but not one specific genre.
Best if you popped over to my Author's page and read the back covers to get a idea of the wide variety of genres I write.
Honestly, I write what I feel like writing.
The range from 'a wholesome romance novel' (latest) to 'a white warlock casting a spell on a CAD $2 bill' to 'a middle-aged woman looking for the perfect martini' to 'a abused wife who disposes her husband in little blue bags' to '4 senior friends going to an auction' and lastly, '1977 mobsters (in the city I currently live in) that are involved in affairs, hookers, and a angel fish.'
Some people say that I should stick with one genre, and one only. But what fun would that be if I HAVE to write about something I'm not interested in?
Next one's on my 'vision' board, fingers itching to create my next world ...
~ KAY
https://www.amazon.com/Kay-D-Johnson/e/B01KFXMGCQ

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Sometimes it's just processed incorrectly at CS's end. Often resubmitting the same file fixes the problem.

Also, make sure to complain to CS about the faulty cover under the Satisfaction Guarantee, and they should replace the proof copy free of charge.
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- where books are an adventure. See our latest releases:

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:12 am

Michelle, thank you for reminding me about the replace at no cost to me. Just fired off an email, requesting they replace them.

Unfortunately, when they 'adjusted' the cover, they cut off over a 1/2 inch all around the my submitted full cover. They literally cut off edges of my image, which meant it was blurry when "stretched out". And the image is no longer as appealing as it was.
I'm still baffles as why they even did it. It was made to their specifications, just as I had done six times before.

~ Kay

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:37 am

It is something that bugs me. They adjust a cover, but don't tell you what they've done. So, you can't work out what you did wrong and thus correct it. I'd prefer a 'this failed for X reason, please fix' approach.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:36 pm

One great reason for making a cover with no extra canvas (surrounding white space) is that there is less for CS to mess with. I've been doing this since I first signed up with CS. This has been Bookow's format, and recently CS too has adapted the no extra canvas format.

If possible, I also flatten my covers, as JPGs before converting to PDF. This gives CS nothing to adjust. However, if you have a multi-layered file and convert to PDF/X-1a, which "flattens transparency" editable text is remains editable and images can be extracted/copies.

If my work is wrong, I'll fix it. I do not want CS to adjust anything.

Do you know what they adjusted and why?
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:55 am

No I have no idea why they adjusted it, they didn't specify.
I wish they have though, would have made it much easier for me to fix.
I just approved my "redo cover" It's much better than what they first adjust it to.
I have always created my covers with a .125 trim and never had a problem.
Oh well, it's fixed, that all that matters.
AND ... they are sending me replacements for the proofs I ordered. Happy Girl! lol

~ Kay

Bookertem

CS New book bad cover

Post by Bookertem » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:41 pm

my bad. got dates wrong. what i meant was the last code book i bought 2 years ago. i dont really want to fork out another hundred odd dollars if i dont have to.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:33 am

Bookertem . . . Spam? Not spam?
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.