[ISBN] ProQuest extended maintenance window myidentifiers.com myidentifiers.au

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
a-h-k

[ISBN] ProQuest extended maintenance window myidentifiers.com myidentifiers.au

Post by a-h-k » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:49 am

ProQuest has a message up on the myidentifiers.com and myidentifiers.au Web sites that they are undergoing an extended maintenance window. Single ISBN purchases are referred to their "channel partner" Publisher Services (which I had always wondered if it was a legitimate company). To purchase multiple ISBN, they've asked publishers to fax in a form to the Australian site.

It made me smile that publishers are requested to enter metadata at Bowkerlink, the site I prefer to use because the user isn't bombarded with advertising of other ProQuest upsell publisher services, largely unnecessary. Note that ProQuest ruined all the links to help text years ago why myidentifiers was started.

I miss the days in which R.R. Bowker was owned by Xerox. I still had a pile of multi-part carbon forms to submit advance book information. I don't think that the term "metadata" had even been invented yet.
Cataloging for Publishers will teach you:
  • To catalog your book in publication, preparing it to be sold to libraries - CIP or PCN, LCCN, MARC21
  • To prepare your book for retail sale: ISBN, Bookland EAN barcode, title metadata: identifying your title and maintaining sales information with R.R. Bowker Books In Print and Bookwire, ONIX 3.0, BISAC Subject Codes 2017

Phoenix

Re: [ISBN] ProQuest extended maintenance window myidentifiers.com myidentifiers.au

Post by Phoenix » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Rumour has it that Bowker and their affiliates have been hacked and that customer's information have been stolen. Be aware of fake emails emerging from this.

No longer rumour...

A MESSAGE TO MYIDENTIFIERS CUSTOMERS:
November 1, 2018 – R.R. Bowker, LLC (“Bowker”) was recently made aware by the payment card networks of patterns of unauthorized charges occurring on cards after they were legitimately used on Bowker’s website, www.myidentifiers.com. We immediately launched an investigation and engaged a leading forensic firm to assist. Our investigation has identified unauthorized code that was added to the checkout page on our website. Based on currently available evidence, our investigation is focused on determining if the code was active from May 1, 2018 through October 23, 2018. However, because our investigation is continuing, complete findings are not available and it is too early to provide further details on the investigation. We anticipate providing notification to any affected customers as we get further clarity about the specific timeframes and orders that may have been affected.

We want to assure our customers that protecting their information is one of our top priorities and we are taking this incident very seriously. We will continue to work vigilantly to pursue this matter quickly to resolution.

Consistent with good practice, customers should closely monitor their payment card account statements. If you see any unauthorized charges, you should immediately notify the bank that issued the card. Payment card companies typically do not hold cardholders responsible for unauthorized charges.

While we are working to implement additional security enhancements, we have disabled purchasing and title data management functionalities at www.myidentifiers.com . Please refer to the instructions below on how you can purchase ISBNs and other products, and manage title data.

danwiz

Re: [ISBN] ProQuest extended maintenance window myidentifiers.com myidentifiers.au

Post by danwiz » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:18 am

Thank you, Joe, appreciate this information. WOW! Just another example of why I have stopped allowing companies to keep my credit card information on file for future use.
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:07 am

I don't either, but if nefarious code was surreptitiously installed, it'll grab any credit card numbers used for one-time transactions as well.

American Express provides credit card numbers valid for one-time use that are different than the number on the physical card. I wish MasterCard and Visa did that as well. It's the only way to thwart all the fraud.
Cataloging for Publishers will teach you:
  • To catalog your book in publication, preparing it to be sold to libraries - CIP or PCN, LCCN, MARC21
  • To prepare your book for retail sale: ISBN, Bookland EAN barcode, title metadata: identifying your title and maintaining sales information with R.R. Bowker Books In Print and Bookwire, ONIX 3.0, BISAC Subject Codes 2017