[BOOKSTORES] The Indie Author–Indie Bookseller Relationship Warms Up

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Michelle

[BOOKSTORES] The Indie Author–Indie Bookseller Relationship Warms Up

Post by Michelle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:54 pm

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by- ... ms-up.html

This is such a good article, and confirms what many of us have been telling new self-published authors for ages:

“We consign self-published books but do not order them in unless they have a track record of success. If we sell a lot of your book on consignment, we would consider ordering from Ingram, but only if it is available at a full discount.”

“We ask them to advertise on social media and [post on] their website that the books can be found here. Some authors are better at that than others."

“We do not carry Amazon-published books in our store, even for locals.”
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

smk123

Re: [BOOKSTORES] The Indie Author–Indie Bookseller Relationship Warms Up

Post by smk123 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Good article!

I did my homework when I started out and realized it was very unlikely I'd ever be on the shelf of brick and mortar stores except as local consignments but that's okay. I do well with online sales. And, because I know I won't be on a bookshelf, I only apply the minimum discount on Ingram (30-35% depending on the country). It's just enough to get me in their online catalogues and I can make a higher profit than I do with Amazon! Why offer 55% off when it won't gain you anything?

IF/WHEN...I ever become famous, then I'll switch! ;)

stacy734

Re: [BOOKSTORES] The Indie Author–Indie Bookseller Relationship Warms Up

Post by stacy734 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:21 am

Hi smk123,

That's exactly what I do, and for the same reason.

Stacy