[INGRAM] Strange production error

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Kpub

[INGRAM] Strange production error

Post by Kpub » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 am

We sponsored an author event yesterday and ordered three of the author's 11 books to sell.

One was issued by a publisher that is now owned by PenguinRandomHouse. The title is 20 years old and still in print, but apparently there is little or no inventory. Our order was fulfilled by Ingram POD.

The books were unexpectedly thick, and turned out to contain two full copies of the book each, in one binding. The author says that it wasn't a one-off error, because he has seen it before with this title.

danwiz

Re: [INGRAM] Strange production error

Post by danwiz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 am

Weird! But, what can we do to help you? Did you contact IS and let them know?
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

Kpub

Re: [INGRAM] Strange production error

Post by Kpub » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:39 pm

I haven't yet, and I'm not sure that I should since the books were ordered from Amazon. Some were sold and I can return the rest to Amazon. I wouldn't ordinarily buy retail for an author event, because we need the trade discount, but PenguinRandomHouse specialty sales would not even return my phone calls.

Some publishers are real pains about author events. Macmillan is the easiest for us, followed by Oxford. Of those that will at least take our orders, the University of Chicago Press is difficult, because they have always insisted on receiving the order by fax. One of the other titles was needed for this event was published by a specialty house now owned by Turner Publishing. Turner will not take returns and we had some books left, but in ten minutes today I sold all but one copy through email to friends and colleagues.