[COVER TEMPLATES] Best place for templates after CS

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
msophia

[COVER TEMPLATES] Best place for templates after CS

Post by msophia » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:29 pm

I have been with createspace for several years and am distressed they are moving. From what I can understand KDL does not have pre-made templates for covers like CS. I also thought I read that they do not have a variety of book sizes.
I have never paid for help in publishing because they made so easy. I am hoping someone can tell me if lulu has as easy a publishing experience, or other recommendations, Many thanks, m sophia

Phoenix

Re: Best place for templates after CS

Post by Phoenix » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:07 am

Although I have not yet used it, I am fairly certain that KDP has a similar cover creator to CS. There are fewer book sizes available.

msophia

Post by msophia » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:40 am

Well that would be great, but in the info I received in my email and a link from that it indicated that you download their templates and then work in Adobe photoshop or some program like that....."You'll download these files and submit them to us with exact dimensions, layout, and bleed."
I never downloaded anything at CS.
Guess we will see, and anyone who has already made the move and using the service, please let us know....m. sophia

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:16 am

I have a 30-page tutorial, with step-by-step screen shots, showing how to build a cover using GIMP. GIMP is a free, full-feature, graphics program (go to my free page, link below, look for Make Your Own Cover). It does 95% of what Photoshop does. Things that are missing, like actions or scripts, are not likely to be missed by most users.

You can get a cover template, which I recommend, from http://www.bookow.com go to their resources page. It's free.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.