[KDP] KDP Paperback Upfront Costs?

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
wjtyoung

[KDP] KDP Paperback Upfront Costs?

Post by wjtyoung » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:18 am

Hello All,

I just registered here, but have been reading the forum here since the CS forums got overrun with spam quite some time back. I've published a few books using CS and was getting ready to do another and saw the news about CS getting absorbed (or whatever) by KDP. I have a few questions, as I've never done anything with KDP that I remember.

Are there any upfront costs to make a paperback live through KDP? I use my own ISBN's and have always used Amazon and expanded distribution on CS. And are there any add-ons that KDP offers for a fee?

I know about Ingram and can use them, but the project I'm working on is one I want to also make available on Kindle. I guess the real question is based on using CS in the past, is there a big reason or reasons that I shouldn't just use KDP for the print and kindle?

Thanks,
Wes

walton
Site Admin

Re: [KDP] KDP Paperback Upfront Costs?

Post by walton » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:27 pm

I have not done a book with KDP Print yet. But I've been reading their site pages, guidelines, was active on their forum for while, etc. They are structured like CS, and their costs are virtually the same. The biggest cost is in disappointment. But, such is life.

If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me!
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:01 pm

I have not published a paperback through KDP yet, but I have kept up with comments by people who do. No upfront costs. Seems the program has passed its beta stage and is performing at about the same level as CS. Biggest disadvantage is for Aussies, who will not be able to order proofs at cost because of the GST thing. We cannot even order from Amazon.com for that reason.
I think that some people will always find a problem or two arising. Others will fly through the processes without a hitch.

wjtyoung

Post by wjtyoung » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:24 pm

Thank you both for the answers! Sounds like for my purposes KDP will probably do what I want. I'd learned how to use the CS system comfortably, so a bit disappointed I have to learn another. But change isn't always bad. Thanks again.