[CS/KDP] CS MOVING TO KDP

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
GoMePub2

[CS/KDP] CS MOVING TO KDP

Post by GoMePub2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:29 pm

It's official! CS IS moving to KDP

These are the notices that are now popping up in CS as people are trying to upload their books.
Please don't "kill the messenger" I'm just giving people the heads up as to what is happening.
CS TO KDP.jpg
CS TO KDP.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (29.23 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

stacy734

Re: [CS/KDP] CS MOVING TO KDP

Post by stacy734 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Ah, so very sad. I loved Createspace and did very well there. I'll always be grateful to them for being a place where i could learn to do the self-publishing thing without up-front costs. Now I can move to IngramSpark with the learning curve behind me.

It's still a mystery to me why KDP can take Japanese ebooks but not Japanese print books.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:48 pm

I am confused . . .

The screen capture (?) says at the bottom: In the coming weeks we will start moving books to KDP. Once we begin this process you will no longer be able to create new projects or update existing one on CreateSpace.

Does this mean that once migrated to KDP, books can be updated on KDP? Or never updated, period?
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:29 pm

walton wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:48 pm
I am confused . . .

The screen capture (?) says at the bottom: In the coming weeks we will start moving books to KDP. Once we begin this process you will no longer be able to create new projects or update existing one on CreateSpace.

Does this mean that once migrated to KDP, books can be updated on KDP? Or never updated, period?
No, they are talking about no longer being able to update or upload anything onto your CS dashboard. Our accounts will be effectively closed anyway. There are some people who have elected to migrate their books themselves and have found that not all of their books were transferred. They went back to find they were locked out of CS and their books were in Limbo. You will definitely be able to update anything you want on the KDP dashboard. Be careful, though. If any of your covers were created with the CS cover creator, they are not compatible with the KDP software. Some people re losing covers, some are losing pages, all sorts of crap going on at the moment and KDP staff are swamped.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:20 am

Phoenix . . . thank you! I was here for the BookSurge > CreateSpace migration. It was not as "smooth" as one might have hoped for. There was no BookSurge forum, but we worked with assigned representatives, so I had a vague idea of what other people were experiencing. My sense was that most of the BS community was looking forward to becoming CreateSpace and part of Amazon. I'm not quite getting the same feelings now.

As an aside, but to put CS vs BS operations into perspective: Books were uploaded (same as CS, as two PDF files) along with a $90 upload fee. The queue was 30 days. At the end of a month your book was either accepted or rejected based on their very detailed 64-page guidelines. We weren't told why a book was rejected, although with a few weeks of calls to the rep you could get an idea, but nothing specific. Eventually, after a series of disasters with them, I talked with the CEO. When you paid your upload fee, you were a paid customer and you could get answers from Tech Support. But, if your book was rejected, you were no longer a paid customer. If you paid the next upload fee, you were in their good graces again and could get an answer, but, obviously, you had to have guessed what the problems were, and you weren't going to have a question unless it was rejected again. Fun!?

I did several books that were rejected many times. I would guess what the problem was, quote the guidelines showing I was correct, and either they would accept the project or change the guidelines (one I remember was 2-page images: "Cannot be done!" But nothing prohibited them in the guidelines). I was their canary in the mine . . . locating problems in their guidelines for them. I had $1000 credit with them for just such upload fees by the time they merged with CS.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.