[CREATSPACE] PNG to PDF cover

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
JAG1

[CREATSPACE] PNG to PDF cover

Post by JAG1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi, I stumbled upon this forum because someone had posted a link to here on the forum at CreateSpace. I find all their spam and lack of admins to answer problems lacking for my taste. Thank you for offering free help. I am working on my first book. The inside of the book has been approved for print, but the cover had issues as the CreateSpace template was not accurate enough for the spine. So after searching, I happened upon another site that made templates for CreateSpace for free, so I generated a new template and we will see if it works.

I am having problems with getting the PNG image saved as a PDF. I do not remember how I did it the first time, but I think I went in through the print option and then selected print to Windows PDF file (or something of that nature). I am wondering though, if the perfect resolution of 300dpi is still in tack and how to get them not to change the dimensions of the image. They seem to want to treat it as a document vs an image.

I also tried Girdac PDF creator. But they also do the exact same thing. My question is this, is there a FREE way to create a PDF out of a PNG image without having to purchase an adobe pro PDF maker or put in a cc number for a 2 week trial? Or has anyone here using CS been successful by using the create PDF through the print>Windows PDF option and not have it rejected?

I just don't want them to reject it. The only thing they rejected this time was because the spine was too big because their templates gave me the wrong size. They didn't say anything about the quality or size of the PDF image.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

David Wake

Re: [CREATSPACE] PNG to PDF cover

Post by David Wake » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:11 am

What are you using to generate the PNG? If you are using a template, then you must be using some software to do this.

I use CutePDF writer, free, to generate PDFs from Word, maybe you can use that from whatever you are using. To software programs, it acts like a printer.

Seisa

Post by Seisa » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:58 am

We really need to know your software and process in order to fully provide help. If you're using a graphics or photo editing program like Photoshop, you can save the file as a PDF, which should retain the size and resolution. Other graphics programs should also offer this functionality.
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: https://sleepingcatpress.com

BLAlley

Post by BLAlley » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:56 am

I tried
Last edited by BLAlley on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm

There are quite a few free/low cost PDF conversion programs for PC. Not so many for Mac, but they are out there.

PNG is a great format for some things. I would avoid it for all things print. Not every program can handle PNG, I tend to think it is the alpha channel. There have been several CS forum complaints (hard to find in their spam), about printing issues with CS involving PNG files, this year alone.

I just tested an image, converted to PNG, then converted to PDF using doPDF. It worked fine. So I would assume that most of the other free programs (primoPDF, cutePDF, PDF995, etc.) would work as well. However, I would still recommend converting to JPG then to PDF. JPG is the universal consumer image file format. (PNG is not.) And JPGs should present the least issues when going through all sorts of changes to get to print. Irfanview and xnView are great little and free programs that excel in doing things like format conversions.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

JAG1

Post by JAG1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:28 pm

I could have sworn that I put down in my original post that I was using Corel PSPx9. They use to have the option in their older versions, to save it as a PDF. But I got a new computer and installed the newest program in hopes to have better editing skills (I'm a digital artist/photographer). But alas, they had removed the PDF option to save to. Thus why I am going through having to try the print to windows or girdac pdf creator. But they change the size of the document. I will try making it a jpg and see if I get a different response from those programs and let you know if it works. I am really getting annoyed with this. I might even have to dust off and fire up my dinosaur computer that had the older versions of psp, and rebuild a new cover there, but I'm not really wanting to do that as it takes 30 minutes to get it to just start up, then everything takes forever to do.

JAG1

Post by JAG1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Ok, I just converted the cover to jpg high quality. Then saved again using the print to window pdf. However I noted that in advance settings of the print menu, is the paper option. I moved it from letter to tabloid, which is basically 11x17 inches paper. Thus when I went back to set up of the print menu, I clicked on the size of image and put in the exact measurements that the cover is suppose to be according to the CS template. Then hit print to file. It saved the pdf and the image is the correct size, but has a white background around the image that I am assuming that CS can figure out how to crop it?

I am wondering about the free pdf creators you all posted in the above posts. Do they also go through the print option in order to be able to use them like girdac? The only way I can use girdac is the same way that windows pdf maker works, through the print option.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:49 pm

walton wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm
There are quite a few free/low cost PDF conversion programs for PC. Not so many for Mac, but they are out there.
That's because any program can print to PDF on a Mac. ;) 8-) :P
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

JAG1

Post by JAG1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:38 pm

ok, they edited the cover pdf for the correct sizing and accepted the cover. So I guess we're good to go now. Proof is on it's way. Thanks all for your help.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Good to know. Well done for sorting it out and good luck with your book. Share a link with us when it goes live.
Joe.