[CS BARCODES] How to get the price add-on barcode

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
stevoz

[CS BARCODES] How to get the price add-on barcode

Post by stevoz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:37 pm

Hello All,

As we know, some little time ago CreateSpace began replacing "custom" barcodes on the back cover with their own. It doesn't matter if you use a free bookow barcode, or if you buy one for US$25 from Bowker, CreateSpace will replace it. Their barcode will include the five-digit price add-on barcode, but without the actual price encoded in it. Instead, it will have the generic "no set price" code, which is the number 90000.

There is a way to get the price on there, if you want it. Not everybody does, because it means updating the cover if you change the price, but if you do, there is a way. I was emailed recently, by someone who used one of my barcodes:
It's crazy, but this is what they do. I'll put on your barcode with a price, like 51595 per the usual, and your barcode will also have the "pretty" $15.95 at the top. CreateSpace will remove this barcode completely and regenerate their own with 51595 and the US $15.95 on it. Theirs is ugly as sin. If I don't put any barcode on the cover, just leave the blank box for it, CreateSpace will put on their own barcode that is coded 90000 (i.e., not priced) but there will be a tiny US$15.95 price on it at the top that, I suppose, they pull from the list price we've entered for the book.
So, it seems that if you place a bookow barcode, with price, on the back cover, then the CreateSpace replacement will also have the price.
Cheers,
Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

free resources from bookow.com
free ISBN barcodes
free ISBN hyphenator
free CreateSpace cover templates
novels formatted for print, kindle, epub, unlimited free revisions, self-service
Image WATCH VIDEO => A Gentle Introduction to Bookow

walton
Site Admin

Re: [CS BARCODES] How to get the price add-on barcode

Post by walton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:49 am

I posted exactly that on the CS forum a few months ago and, as I recall, several people said it was wrong. Here is what CustomerService told me July 21:

Our system will place the ISBN barcode in a space 2" wide and 1.2" tall. The bottom of this barcode is located 1/4" up from the bottom trim line of the cover. The right side of the barcode is located 1/4" to the left of the spine.

If you wish to include a price embedded barcode on your book cover you will need to generate the barcode specified as per our submission requirement and place it on the cover artwork before submission. We will then print your Cover with the replkaced barcode and with the price information as well.

While designing your book cover, please adjust the back cover so that no images or text that is intended to be viewable are placed in this location and allow a space 2" wide and 1.2" tall for the barcode placement

Thank you for the update . . . what they told me was correct!
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

stevoz

Post by stevoz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi Walton,

Ah yes, I remember seeing that now. I think you might have posted it more than once, in fact.

I was pleased to get a detailed email about this issue from someone who had tried both with and without a barcode, and was able to see what CreateSpace was doing.
Cheers,

free ISBN barcodes
free ISBN hyphenator
novels formatted for print, kindle, epub, unlimited free revisions, self-service

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:36 pm

Hey Steve, does (can) your barcode generator allow pricing codes for other countries besides the US? I created an AUD code somewhere and can't remember where. When I went to your site, I entered 3 for AUD and 1995 ($19.95) and it created a price for $319.95. Annoyingly IngramSpark's templates only do US, UK and EU codes. For this book, I printed copies in China for exclusive distribution in Australia, so having an AU price embedded would be great.
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- where books are an adventure. See our latest releases:

stevoz

Post by stevoz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi Michelle,

It used to, along with some other currencies as well. Then CS forum member a-h-k pointed out to me that the BISG changed the rules back in 2004. No more using '3' for Australian currency! I updated my software accordingly.

Here's the document describing the updated guidelines:
http://bisg.org/resource/resmgr/Files/P ... Add-on.pdf

I'd be curious to learn if there's a spec that states it's still ok to use '3' to indicate Australian currency.
Cheers,

free ISBN barcodes
free ISBN hyphenator

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:03 pm

I'm sure when I was searching for the AU code, the sites I visited were more recent than 2004, but I doubt I could find them now. I guess I'll just leave the add-on code off these books.
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- where books are an adventure. See our latest releases:

stevoz

Post by stevoz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:17 pm

Hey Michelle,

If you do find a reference that states it's still okay to use the '3' for Australian currency, please let me know. Is there an Australian equivalent to the BISG?
Cheers,

free ISBN barcodes
free ISBN hyphenator