[KINDLE FORMATTING] Way to prevent orphaned headings?

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
prosetech

[KINDLE FORMATTING] Way to prevent orphaned headings?

Post by prosetech » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:38 am

I recently published a technical book with pictures with headings, code listings, and pictures on CreateSpace, and the formatting/conversion went really smoothly. (It's a book about Excel formulas h[url]ttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1775373703[/url].) I want to prepare a Kindle version, but I'm not happy with the different conversion results I'm getting from the Word source. One big problem is that I can't find any way to prevent orphaned headers (where the heading sits alone at the bottom of the page) and my book has lots of headings. I've seen a CSS solution, but I don't have an automated way to convert from Word --> HTML --> Kindle and I'm not sure if it's worth the investment to do that.

So, tldr; #1 is there an way to prevent orphaned headings with a Word source and #2 do people have much success converting heavily formatted books from Word -> HTML -> Kindle?

Thanks,
M@

David Wake

Re: [KINDLE FORMATTING] Way to prevent orphaned headings?

Post by David Wake » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:43 am

You're after forcing a page break (effectively) before each header? Does using the Word header style to insist on a 'page break before' do the trick? What automated method are you using?

prosetech

Post by prosetech » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:59 am

Not before each header, just before the header when there isn't enough room on the page to fit at least two (I think) lines of text underneath. Word has a paragraph setting called "Window/Orphan control" that does this automatically, but it doesn't carry over after a Kindle conversion.

Edited to add: CSS now has properties "widows" and "orphans" that you can use if you're going from an HTML source, but I'm going from Word.

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:44 am

In that case, I don't think you can. One of the main differences between paperback and ebook is who controls the format. With paperback it's you, but with ebook it's the reader. Get it perfect in the ebook, but then I, the reader, change the font size and it's all over the place.

However, I wasn't aware of CSS widows and orphans, so maybe it's no longer the case.

Seisa

Post by Seisa » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:56 am

You can try saving your Word doc as a filtered HTML file, then open that in Sigil and clean it up (and modify the CSS as needed). Sigil generates an .epub file, which KDP will accept and convert on their side to Kindle format.
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: https://sleepingcatpress.com

prosetech

Post by prosetech » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:44 am

It's definitely possible to prevent orphaned headings, because I've compared with a few ebooks I have for other tech publishers. No matter how I resize them, they always keep headings from being stranded at the bottom of the page.

I'll have to give Sigil a try. I've been afraid that the Word --> HTML step is going to introduce new problems, but it's worth a try.