[CREATESPACE] Inside Margins

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
carsonni

[CREATESPACE] Inside Margins

Post by carsonni » Mon May 21, 2018 9:38 am

I recently worked on redesigning a book/magazine for a client and they are having trouble getting the filed approved for print via CreateSpace. I don't have access to their dashboard to see what is exactly going on but the issue is "The interior needs a wider inside margin." The trim size is 8.5x11 and I have the margins set at .375 all the way around. It has bleeds so the final size is 8.625x11.25. From what I can tell, all of my "live" elements are within the margins or bleed off the page. I do have a few colored boxes that don't bleed but are slightly outside of the margins (page 18, 27). I also have two images that spread across the page (30, 38). Would these cause issues?

Here is a link to the PDF that was rejected: https://issuu.com/artsunleashed/docs/em ... ag_ed2_fix

Also the last PDF submitted was a Acrobat 6 (1.5) and I just realized that CreateSpace says "We support PDF v1.4 and lower" would this cause any issues?

Appreciate any help! Thanks!!

walton
Site Admin

Re: [CREATESPACE] Inside Margins

Post by walton » Mon May 21, 2018 1:21 pm

I don't have much time, and I am having problems with my video card. My first guess is that you have, or CS thinks you have, live elements that are inside the out-of-live margin (0.25" around each page inside the trim line). For example, it looks like the woman's face inside an oval (upper left, left-hand page) could be problematic.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Michelle

Re: [CREATESPACE] Inside Margins

Post by Michelle » Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Here are some other pages that *might* need attention:

page 4 - red border in the gutter should be 0.375"
page 5 - white edge on the top ad should be 0.25", or the red background must bleed
page 6 - the outer edge needs a wider margin (0.25") before the woman's face
page 18 - looks fine to me, as long as the red shape bleeds off the page properly
page 21 - the word "change" looks like it's in the gutter
page 22 - the border around the white box should be removed so that the white bleeds off the page and all the way into the gutter
page 27 - the cloud might be too close to the live margin
page 30 - shouldn't cause a problem, but CS sometime considers this text a live element
page 35 - the orange box might need to bleed more (bottom right corner)
page 37 - the text bleeding off the page could cause problems. I suggest a 0.25" (plus bleed) border around the whole page
page 38 - no problems with this one
page 42 - the phone image needs to come out of the live margin (top and side)
page 52 - needs to bleed (left side) or increase the white margin
page 52 - delete the orange border or make it 0.25" thick plus bleed
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.