[No Author?] No Author on Cover?

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
PhoenixNicholson

[No Author?] No Author on Cover?

Post by PhoenixNicholson » Sat May 05, 2018 10:41 am

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a book being published that
had no author credited or displayed on its cover?

walton
Site Admin

Re: [No Author?] No Author on Cover?

Post by walton » Sun May 06, 2018 10:30 am

I have several thousand books in the room where I work, and more scattered throughout the house. "All" have the author or editor, etc. on the covers. About 2/3 have lost their dust jackets, and the names still appear. I sure I could find an exception or two, perhaps quite a few if the book has very few pages. I would could the exceptions as basically proving the rule.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Mon May 07, 2018 1:42 pm

I did read that as most people buy off Amazon, they see the title and author next to the cover. So, the cover is just a picture and doesn't need either.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 am

I agree that if most sales are through Amazon the need to have the author name on the cover is not needed. But like a lot of things, simply because we can do something or something is not needed, that does not mean we should do or not do those things.

Obviously, a great book is a great book regardless of whether it is nicely formatted, printed in book form, or loose leaf in a 3-ring binder. But presentation is important. We expect certain things, through custom, habit, expectation, experience. All of those fussy things are signals to the viewer, reader, audience. Actors do not go into the house, after it's opened and before the performance; the copyright notice is on the verso of the full title page; there are no widows; direct quotes are set off by quotation marks; etc.

I was in a play (Lobby Hero), where the main character had a clip board and appeared to take notes or check things off. In the second act, a day after the first act, he came out with his clipboard and the same piece of paper. Someone in the audience said, out loud, "That's the same form he was writing on in the first act." Most people don't care, but someone will notice, and that someone will be heard.

Signals. If we break with tradition, fine, but we only have so much capital with the reader, and we should spend it wisely and not squander it. If our books are self-published, we can be fairly certain there will be more mistakes than in a well edited, well proofread, traditionally published book: We need that capital then.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Wed May 09, 2018 3:59 am

walton wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 am
Signals. If we break with tradition, fine, but we only have so much capital with the reader, and we should spend it wisely and not squander it. If our books are self-published, we can be fairly certain there will be more mistakes than in a well edited, well proofread, traditionally published book: We need that capital then.
I couldn't agree more.

There is a counter argument that we are indies, so we can move away from obsolete thinking. This problem is knowing what can be changed, what should be changed and what should be left well alone.

I've not had the nerve to remove title or author, even if I was convinced by the argument. It's an interesting thought experiment.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:13 pm

There is a HUGE trend right now to create "wordless" books such as journals, diary, composition book, blank form book (recipe book) and blank page scribble books. CS does NOT require the creator/author to add their name to the book at all. Nor the ISBN number.
And there is a debate about have the title only on the spine, rather than on both the spine and front cover.
The CS guide says "front OR spine" so some are wondering if they will accept books with the title or author on the front.
I'm currently experimenting with the latter, placing the title and author name on the spine only. I'm hoping I can get away with NOT put the title on the front of a certain type of journal I just started creating. Guess I'll know tomorrow morning! LMAO
~ KAY

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:24 am

The answer is ... YES!
We can publish a book without the title on the front cover. Just have to add it and author name to the spine.
~ KAY