[CREATESPACE] Margin Error upon Submission of Interior

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
walton
Site Admin

Re: [CREATESPACE] Margin Error upon Submission of Interior

Post by walton » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:47 am

Phoenix, here's the deal . . . you're right! CS is designed so that you drop in your image where you want it, don't think about it, and CS prints it well.

You don't need to know what a color space is, much less what your image is in. You don't need to know about what color space CS uses, dot gain, UCR and or GCR, line frequency, etc. In fact, I would argue that if you do, if you have experience in the commercial graphics and printing worlds, you will actually be at a disadvantage using CS. However, I do have a free illustrated prepress glossary, link below, that covers, albeit briefly all of this stuff.

But when stuff happens, when the fertilizer hits the ventilator, then knowing what's going on is helpful. If you want to push the limits, or avoid possible problems, it's worth understanding the process.

Unfortunately, CS is truly a black box. We up load a PDF and we get back a book. In an absolute sense, that is all we know. What happens in between, what CS does or does not do: all of that is a secret. CS will not, as a rule, answer technical questions. I have run hundreds of tests, trying to figure out what they do. I have shared everything I have learned and my conjectures. There are a few on the CS forum who disagree with some of it, but even the most contentious statement, that CS strips some or all of our color information (profiles) and replaces it with theirs, has been confirmed by the KDP Print Guidelines.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:25 pm

I hope you don't think I was having a go at you? I have pert near read everything you offer for free and it is wonderful information...when I can understand it. I am in awe of your expertise and very grateful for your input. I wish I had the wherewithal that you possess, unfortunately, I am technologically challenged. Basically, I am uneducated and self-taught in most everything I do. So I have to rely on what I read to learn. I have to rely on others to edit my work, design a cover, and now, help with blurbs. So, my tongue in cheek reply to your brilliance should in no way be taken as a slight. I am grateful for all you offer we plebs.
Joe.

alexnz

Post by alexnz » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:25 pm

I feel the same. Some of the terminoly is difficult to understand at first but I think I grasp the overall concept.

I have this strange situation that I don't quite understand at the moment where I'm inserting pictures that have enormous resolutions, like 4000x 5000 but when I sort by their horizontal and vertical dpi in windows it says they are 72 x 72 dpi. I recently ordered a print of my sample and the images came out fantastic, which I didn't expect because of the dpi requirement of 300 (They flagged my interior submission as having images <200 dpi). Unfortunately... there were some issues with some other uses of colour that I hadn't anticipated. Anyone care to know why I am getting this extra yellow colour on top of these block colours; green/orange/grey/black? (doesn't happen on the pages where I use blue or purple)
31392976_1310044799139364_8740643212005212160_n.jpg
31392976_1310044799139364_8740643212005212160_n.jpg (181.5 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
To make it worse and less understandable, it is only happening on pages that are on the left hand side of the page, and it gets worse the lower down on the page it goes.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:27 am

Believe me, I understand the frustration of the technical stuff. I mentioned that CS is a black box because if you were to work with most traditional printers, they would go out of their way to help, including providing profile so that your color is much more accurate.

But we aren't working with a traditional printer, and that includes most p-o-d printers.

For most people and most projects, what CS does, and how it does it, is irrelevant. But when we have problems, or want to maximize the quality of our work, then some understanding is necessary.

Being self taught is not am impediment, just a challenge. In fact, as I may be suggested, having good, solid, experience with commercial art and printing, may make working with CS harder.

As for the margin problems, I would use guidelines in your graphics programs, set them for the minimum margins, and see if anything extends into the out-of-live or inside margins. I not only always do this, but I will set the magnification quite high, and examine every page that could be a problem, or every page, if need be.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:15 pm

I'll add to this.
I created 6 books and never had an issue when uploaded. Then my last two, everything I uploaded was wrong ... even though I did them exactly to their requirements and the same way I had for the first 6 books.
Not sure if they have new employees or they are trying to make themselves 'valuable' but it's getting very annoying (and expensive re:proofs/shipping) having to fix their "adjustments."
And in saying that, I'm off to create another mess they will fix and then I will fix their adjustment. LOL
~ KAY

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Tue May 01, 2018 2:47 am

Adjustments!

Absolute curse. I've had covers 'adjusted' by Createspace. One had my name curtailed somewhat. I just want them to leave it alone, so I can see what my mistake is and so fix it. Trying to work out the mistake from something that's been fixed is a strange game.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Tue May 01, 2018 8:18 am

For those who don't know . . .

Generally, if your flatten your cover art (flatten, merge visible, save as JPG,etc.), there is nothing that CS can move. If, however, you export or save as PDF, from a file with everything in layers, then CS can tinker with the PDF.

As a rule, we should keep our master cover file with all of the layers intact. The jester god loves nothing better than when we flatten our master file, then use it to create a cover. That is when we discover we have misspelled our own names, or placed something in the wrong position. Always save the master file, then flatten a copy.

If the cover art is exactly the size of the template (I recommend Bookow, and it is flattened before making the print-ready cover PDF, there is no confusion and CS can't "correct" things.

I usually make a JPG, which I then save as, export, or distill as a PDF.
Walton