[CREATESPACE] draft book (24 pages)

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
alexnz

[CREATESPACE] draft book (24 pages)

Post by alexnz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:07 am

Hi all,
I am planning on printing a full book (246 pages) but Walton advised me to use a free ISBN provided by createspace and create a 24page draft, just to make sure my picture alignment, margins, and trim are set correctly. My question is.. createspace don't like printing that latin 'lorem ipsum' script. Will they have a problem if every single one of my 24 pages has the word 'sample' on it? An example of a double page spread of what I mean can be found here https://imgur.com/a/9ifZU
Also, thanks walton for recommending the use of bullet icons from dafont. I've completely eliminated the jagged lines when converting my doc to pdf.

walton
Site Admin

Re: [CREATESPACE] draft book (24 pages)

Post by walton » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:19 am

I have done several books with pages and pages of lorem ipsum/placeholder text. I am not, however, recommending it simply because if CS blocks the project it adds days to the question. You could simple grab text from a public domain book (Project Gutenberg) or use your own text. Unless you approve the test book and enable distribution, your book remains hidden from the world, so nothing is at risk.

The intent of CS's rule appears to be that if something "Your title here," or "Your text here," (or whatever the language is in the CS templates), it could appear to be a mistake (a printer's error) and cause CS to have to replace the book if someone complains. But what is obvious to us, isn't always obvious to a CS reviewer.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Phoenix

Re: [CREATESPACE] draft book (24 pages)

Post by Phoenix » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Or you could do what I did for my practice/draft book by writing a few pages. That silly little test book of mine, book for book, has outsold all my others.