[COVER] Opinions

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Phoenix

[COVER] Opinions

Post by Phoenix » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:46 pm

I'd like to ask the group for their opinions on my new book cover. Too simple? It is a psychological thriller. The title has a reference in a passage within the book alluding to a truly evil person having a black and dead heart.
Reduced file.jpg
Reduced file.jpg (191.72 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

Michelle

Re: [Cover] Opinions

Post by Michelle » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Is this a medical thriller?
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- where books are an adventure. See our latest releases:

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:20 pm

No. The heartbeat on the monitor just seemed a good idea rather than anything like an actual heart. There is a vague connection to chemistry, but that's about as close as it gets to anything medical. In my second draft, I could conceivably have a victim/s hooked up to a monitor if need be. I like the simplicity, I don't, I do I..... on and on. Not set in stone yet. I have the first draft written only at this stage, but I like to have a cover, it urges me to finish the product. So far, the cover has only cost me about $20, which is a factor.

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:49 am

The face looks out of place, too sunny a day and cheerful.

The blurb doesn't tell me anything about the book. It needs mentioning the main character and some hint about plot.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:13 am

If I saw the front cover, I would pick the book up. That's a big plus. But I would also turn the book over and look at the back cover . . . and there you've lost me. Unless thumbing through the book something caught my eye, I'd probably put it down. The same thing holds in the digital bookstore.

I agree with Michelle that looking at the front cover . . . it's gotta be a medical thriller. Would I be disappointed to discover it isn't? I don't know. Or, would I be misdirected, thinking it is, and then not getting the story. For example: Sean Connery did a movie called "Medicine Man." He's a scientist who discovers what might be a universal cure for cancer. The trailer showed him running through the rain forest, the voice over said he was in a race against evil, to save mankind, but will he make it? So I'm watching for the villains, the subplots, etc. I had a hard time following the movie. The trailer said it was a thriller, good vs evil, and it wasn't not like that. Ruined the movie for me. Saw it again on cable, and it was a good movie.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Michelle

Re: [COVER] Opinions

Post by Michelle » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:42 pm

I agree with Walton — the cover is misleading. Further, the blurb doesn’t tell me anything about the plot or characters. At this point you’ve lost me.

Simplicity on a cover is fine, but only if it supports the title and blurb in conveying what the book is about. A vague connection is not going to do that.

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Thank-you all. One thing I know, my blurbs always suck! I can't write a good blurb to save myself. Temple Williams wrote one for me a few years ago that was killer, but I do not ask an author for favours. I will have to rethink this one a bit. Thanks for your opinions.
Joe.

danwiz

Post by danwiz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 am

Temple Williams also did one of my blurbs, he's pretty darn good at writing those things. Like you, I also cannot write a decent one no matter how hard I try.
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:10 pm

Had another crack at this. Found a premade to suit. Still not overly impressed with the blurb and calling it a WIP. Will try to find pro help in that regard. Thoughts? BTW, came across a brilliant piece about blurb writing. http://victoriamixon.com/2016/03/21/how ... e-a-blurb/
Now, you'd think that any dummy who can type a 110k novel should be able to follow the simple formula with consummate ease, right? He, he. Try it.
Reduced.jpg
Reduced.jpg (211.48 KiB) Viewed 1023 times

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:07 pm

That cover is heaps better! We still don’t know anything about the protagonist in the blurb though. Always start there.

If it helps, use the journalist’s 5 Ws: who, what, when, where and why (not necessarily in that order). Don’t give away the why, but use it to form the hook line at the end of the blurb.