[VIRUSES] Shadow Defender

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
walton
Site Admin

[VIRUSES] Shadow Defender

Post by walton » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:34 am

Generally, we are no more or less vulnerable to viruses than most forums, including the CS Community. For most of us, the best protection is having an up-to-date os, fire wall, and anti-virus programs, and avoiding doing things that have a high risk of malware.

I use Shadow Defender, https://www.shadowdefender.com/, as an additional line of defense. It costs $35 US. It is easy to install. And it is quite effective. From their website:

Shadow Defender Features
1. Prevent all viruses and malwares.
2. Surf the internet safely and eliminate unwanted traces.
3. Protect your privacy.
4. Eliminate system downtime and maintenance costs.
5. Reboot to restore your system back to its original state.
Shadow Defender Users
1. Maintain a system free from malicious activities and unwanted changes.
2. Test software and game installations in a safe environment.
3. Protect against unwanted changes by shared users (suitable for workplaces and educational institutions).

How? Easy. When enable (you can turn it on and off), it creates a virtual computer, and that is what you use. When you shut down, whatever happened on that system and protected areas disappears. When you reboot, your system is as it was before.

Two popular alternatives, DeepFreeze, http://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze), which appears (I have not used it) to be very much like ShadowDefender, is $45; and SandBoxie, https://www.sandboxie.com/, for $35. This is slightly different from the other two programs in that is creates a virtual area, sandbox, for specific programs to run in, but not the entire (or selected) system. I used to use Sandboxie, but I found it was slightly harder to use than ShadowDefender. There are other programs like these out there.

The hard part, is to remember to sandbox a program, in the case of SandBoxie, or with all three, to save what you want saved where you can actually save it. Believe me, this is really hard (it is having a strategy, and remembering to use it ALL of the time). I have lost lots and lots of work by not paying attention . . . getting distracted, phone calls, dogs, cats, whatever.

Another problem, is that if you have these programs running, you cannot do updates . . . because they disappear when you reboot.

Basically, 1) you need to have an unprotected drive where you can save data. But, obviously, that drive (or folder) is therefore vulnerable to some malware, undermining some of the very protection you wanted. I use a removable thumb drive when I'm in Shadow mode. Taking it out when I am through saving. 2) you can usually save a file by excluding certain files or folder while in Shadow mode, then save. . . . So you can see there are lots of ways to mess up and lose things.

There are YouTube videos showing these programs working on computers intentionally infested with viruses . . .then voila . . . no infections!

I'm just passing this on . . .
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

walton
Site Admin

Re: [VIRUSES] Shadow Defender

Post by walton » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:51 am

I should add that I am responding to Dan'l's post, not because he did anything wrong, but because we all do stuff, or, in fact, do nothing, but are nonetheless, vulnerable.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.