[CREATESPACE] Total Ink Coverage

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
GoMePub2

[CREATESPACE] Total Ink Coverage

Post by GoMePub2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:06 am

Can someone tell me what the total ink coverage limits are for CREATESPACE?
(please do not talk about Ingramspark's limits ... it gets too confusing)
The cover is mostly black so I need to know what the limits are.
Yes, I have looked at the CS community and was left more confused than when I started.
~ Kay

danwiz

Re: [CREATESPACE] Total Ink Coverage

Post by danwiz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:20 am

CS has no TIC/TAC limits. Don't even be concerned by the terms, they don't apply with CS.

Dan'l
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:36 am

Well that just made my life a h@&& of a lot easier.
Thanks Dan.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 am

I have an article on how to correct an image if the TIC is too much. It's on my free page, link below.

I have printed registration black (C100 M100 Y100 K100 . . . 400%) with CS on covers and on the interior. There have been periodic discussion on cover curl, and one popular theory is too much ink. Well not of my 400% TIC cover have curled; and some of my all white covers have! On the covers, I've had no problem with delamination, either.

Obviously CS does not care, nor, it would appear, should they.

Although Spark has a limit of 240%, they will accept higher, although they reserve the right to reject a file if a high TIC causes problems.

As for censored words, I think we have two.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:21 am

Sooooo ...
On the same day as I posted this question, I fired off a ticket to Createspace Support. I received NINE emails telling me they were still waiting to hear back from their 'team' as to what the answer was. Here's the email I got today.
Copy/pasted straight from email.

"Hello K D,
I'm writing in regard to your recent inquiry about the CreateSpace's Total Ink Coverage limit.
Our Technical Team has contacted us back with the following information in their words.
"We limit Total Ink Coverage (TIC) to 280; Each color is split evenly during profiling based on the TIC settings. Printing typically occurs in KCMY and we do not support true overprinting. The text is converted to knockout during processing."
We appreciate your patience and understanding."

So there's our answer.
~ KAY

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 am

That's interesting. As I've said often, we have no idea what happens once we upload our PDFs. I have gotten into huge arguments with experts on the CS forum over some of this. We can guess. We can test. CS won't tell us. In fact, I'm surprised they told you this!

Here is what Adobe says:

Overprinting DeviceCMYK objects, each of which already are within a desired total ink coverage may and very do cause situations in which the desired total ink coverage is exceeded.

Note that very often, RIPs for CtP and especially for digital printing devices (toner, inkjet, etc.) have post-rendering features that indeed check for and reduce total ink coverage to avoid toner adhesion problems, overinking for inkjet, or even wasted ink/toner. You might want to check with your printer or your printer's manufacturer's support organization with regards to behavior of particular RIPs and printers.

I've assumed that Spark wants us to limit the TIC because it cannot be done evenly ("Each color is split evenly during profiling based on the TIC settings"), if that means a reducing each process color by say 25%: not without unwanted color shifts. So if there are going to be shifts, better the publisher create them and fix them, than Spark.

Most graphics programs use what is commonly called Photoshop Black, C75 M68 Y67 K90, which is 300%. So just there, all blacks in our art work is over both CS's limit and Spark's. Ideally, most of us want what would be called (to use a term used for RGB to CMYK rendering) perceptual rendering. This adjust all colors so that they retain their relationships, and don't shift.

I've run hundreds of tests, many involved printing between 240% and upwards of 400%. Visually, I have no idea if CS adjusted all the ink levels to a limit of 280%. One of the things we don't know is the UCR (under color removal), a process that removes CMY that added to neutral blacks exceeds a specific TIC limit. This UCR is can be different from one printer to the next, so we don't know how to anticipate it in our work. Related, is GCR, gray component replacement, which controls the saturation by controlling black (to eally over simplify things).

I suppose TechSupport is right. I have no reason to doubt them.

Here is an interesting article about TIC: http://www.colourphil.co.uk/gcr-ucr-total-ink.shtml
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.