[CREATESPACE]

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
IndyIndie

[CREATESPACE]

Post by IndyIndie » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 am

I released three books of a series in January, and I initially sold ten copies. Six were of the first book, and two each or the other two. I haven't sold any more since then, as I had expected, as I have put the majority of my promotional efforts into the Kindle versions. A few days ago, the rankings on my paperbacks jumped by millions of places. The second book alone rose over 19million spots! But the Createspace dashboard reflected zero sales.

So yesterday, a friend of my step-son hit me up on Facebook, which was nice as I hadn't seen the young man for years. He posted a picture of my first book, and said the other 2 would be arriving soon. He said he ordered them a few days ago. Again, no sales are showing.

Could someone else have returned the books already? Or is there a glitch in the dashboard? I don't want to jump to conclusions and assume that Createspace and/or Amazon is trying to screw me over. Not yet, anyway. Haha.

GoMePub2

Re: [CREATESPACE]

Post by GoMePub2 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:48 am

It can actually take up to 6 weeks for sales to show up in your dashboard, so maybe wait a bit to see if they turn up. I hope they turn up soon.

Ummm ... I also want to relay a personal story to you ...
When I published my third book, a friend said she bought the book. I waited a month, looking for my royalties. Nothing showed up. Out of frustration, I asked her for the bar code numbers on the last page that CreateSpace uses to track all publications/sales. She avoided the subject like it was on fire. Eventually, after some insistence on my part, she admitted that she hadn't actually bought the book, thus no royalty. She said she told me that she had, wanting to boost my confidence when I was in a writing slump.
Btw, when she published her first book ... I bought a copy. I emailed her a pic of the bar code in case there was a problem with her not being able to find her royalties in her dashboard. Yah, I'm a S#%T that way. :lol:
Please understand, I'm not accusing your step-son's friend of this ... Just putting this out there for everyone to read.

As for sales. When I publish my first four books, my sales were great. Then Nothing. I have not sold a book in over 8 months. And from what I can see, that seems to be the typical pattern for self-publishing.
~ KAY

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 am

To add a bit . . . to be an artist of most any media, you'll find friends and particularly family can be great supports until it comes to buying something. Whereas, open a restaurant and they'll flock!

My advice is that if your friends and family are supportive to the extent of actually putting out a bucks, great, in fact cherish them for it. However, if they are not that supportive, do not take it personally. Such is life.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

IndyIndie

Post by IndyIndie » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Believe me, I am already fully aware of how "supportive" family and friends can be. Haha. The young man posted a picture of the book, in his possession, and that is why I grew concerned. I wasn't ready to totally freak out yet, and I knew I could ask you guys. Thanks for your help.

GoMePub2

Post by GoMePub2 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:19 pm

Like I said give it sometime.
If it doesn't show up in a month, Ask him for the bar code on the back page. with that CreateSpace can look into what happened.
Good luck!
~ KAY