[AUDIOBOOK] should I outsource?

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
rebeccarox

[AUDIOBOOK] should I outsource?

Post by rebeccarox » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi,

I want to make my book into an audiobook, should I outsource the recording? There’s some really cheap options online, like here - http://www.fiverr.com/s2/8411557d5d?utm ... ink_Mobile

And I’ve already paid him to record my assignment and it was good. So should I outsource my ebook this way? Or another way? Or do it myself?

walton
Site Admin

Re: [AUDIOBOOK] should I outsource?

Post by walton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:54 am

You don't say what you paid, but I followed the link and it's pretty good. You can hear what he sounds like, although I couldn't get the samples to play.

As for ebooks . . . you need to see them on a device. I have to assume that many of the free/low cost conversions work well, or they wouldn't last. But my experience is that it takes a bit of work to prepare a file for conversion (easy stuff like removing page numbers, running headers, forced line breaks, etc.), then the conversion can be done at the push of a button. Usually this gets the book to epub stage. Some people leave it there, others, convert to MOBI, the Kindle file format. Either way, I will look at the file in as many devices as I can. And because I'm going to MOBI, I will use Kindle for PC (free from KDP), Calibre (free conversion and reader program), and at a minimum two Kindles. Another useful program, also free, is Sigil, a WYSIWYG epub editor . . . why? because these conversion aren't always perfect!
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:02 pm

Be honest: can you read aloud to the same quality of professional narrators? Do you have a voice that will sound good recorded? I'm not sure about other platforms, but Audiobooks.com allows people to rate/review the narrator as well as the book.
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:02 am

Sorry Michelle, in my case, yes. As a trained stage and screen actor I have a voice that is probably superior to most pundits peddling their wares. My last book signing and reading had the audience begging me for more when I finished. I always read aloud extremely well, even way back in school when my English teacher would ask me to read aloud for the entire lesson from whichever book the class was reading at the time. I have been seriously contemplating making my own audiobook as a result of people urging me to do so. Unfortunately/fortunately, I am just too taken with writing them at present.

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:31 am

Phoenix wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:02 am
Unfortunately/fortunately, I am just too taken with writing them at present.
If you wrote with dictation software, you could do the audio book at the same time.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:19 am

It's a great sounding idea, kind of like "I'll edit and revise and as I write."

I looked into doing audio books. I have had several years of acting classes and leading roles in our local theater, which avoids saying that I have a trained voice. Most of us could get build a small recording area and even with our computers record our books, and, most importantly get about 70-80% okay. But that last 20-30% is a bear. Kind of like photography, it's easy to get a "great shot" but it's not so easy to get a really great photograph.

Ambient noise. One's mis-starts, breathing, coughing, etc. To facilitate things, good readers will have a key word indicating a mistake and then can keep going (in Linotype typesetting it was etaoin shrdlu, the first two columns of keys on the left side of the Linotype keyboard; when the typesetter made a mistake, but wanted to keep going, he slid his fingers down over those keys, and sometimes etaoin shrdlu ended up in the finished text!, instead of getting picked up and corrected later), etc.

Actually, answering the question gave me an opportunity to pass on the Linotype story, which I love.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 am

You know, making the audio book could be part of the editing process. We're always advised to read our work aloud to spot errors, so the audio book could be part of the proof reading process.