[LCCN CIP] Cataloging and identification of books

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
a-h-k

[LCCN CIP] Cataloging and identification of books

Post by a-h-k » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08 am

https://catalogingforpublishers.com/

Since I was happy with the Publisher's Cataloging-in-Publication Data provided by Library Cataloging Solutions, I've added a subsection on P-CIP to my cataloging memo. I added a paragraph on the history of product barcodes and links to George Joseph Laurer's site and his article on barcodes. He invented the U.P.C. symbol in 1973 while working for IBM. Because of a patent troll and threats of lawsuits by those selling numbers that can't be registered, he took down some of his articles. I found them elsewhere. He's 91 and just doesn't have time to fight bad lawsuits.

Other changes: BIC is now recommending the use of Thema for subjects of books used in trade, which is getting more widely accepted internationally. It's the replacement for BIC codes, which were the UK's version of BISAC.

There weren't too many URLs that went dead, but I had to change a number of them from http to https.

I know it's gotten longer still, but I'd appreciate feedback.
Last edited by a-h-k on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cataloging for Publishers will teach you:
  • To catalog your book in publication, preparing it to be sold to libraries - CIP or PCN, LCCN, MARC21
  • To prepare your book for retail sale: ISBN, Bookland EAN barcode, title metadata: identifying your title and maintaining sales information with R.R. Bowker Books In Print and Bookwire, ONIX 3.0, BISAC Subject Codes 2017

Seisa

Re: [LCCN CIP] Cataloging and identification of books

Post by Seisa » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:37 am

Hi! I've added a tag to your post, per the forum rules above.
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: https://sleepingcatpress.com

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:06 am

Oops. Sorry about that.
  • To catalog your book in publication, preparing it to be sold to libraries - CIP or PCN, LCCN, MARC21
  • To prepare your book for retail sale: ISBN, Bookland EAN barcode, title metadata: identifying your title and maintaining sales information with R.R. Bowker Books In Print and Bookwire, ONIX 3.0, BISAC Subject Codes 2017

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 am

I converted Cataloging and identification of books into .pdf and put it up on the Web. There's a backlink to this Web forum if readers want to ask any questions. I found a 93% off coupon from GoDaddy to register another domain name, so I made a quick Web site for the one document. btw, I forgot to change the default email address I use for WHOIS before registering the new domain name and have been getting lots of spam to sell me logos and other services, because I didn't spend the extra money for domain registration privacy. Oops.

When I get around to it, I'll HTML-ize it, maybe break it up into smaller documents.

In the meantime, please criticize, especially to point out any obvious errors that really need correcting.

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Wed May 17, 2017 1:48 pm

I made some updates to the cataloging memo at my Web site cited in the signature. In discussion with someone about PCIP in the CS forum, I noticed that even though I brought to everyone's attention that there was a new BISAC Subject Codes annual edition last October, I forgot to update my memo with that information. Whoops.

If anyone spots some glaring omissions like that, please point them out to me. I'd appreciate it.

It's still pdf. I'll get around to HTMLizing it at some point.

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:04 am

I updated my memo on Cataloging and Identification of Books in response to various changes affecting publishers. Download the .pdf from the link in my .sig
  • Effective September 5, 2017, summaries are required for CIP Program participation.
  • Complete BISAC Subject Headings List 2017 edition has been released. I added some guidance on selecting subjects.
  • GS1 General Specifications Release 18 January 2018. GS1 is the body that governs Global Trade Item Numbers and the barcodes that symbolize them; ISBN and the Bookland EAN barcode are subsets of this standard.
  • The ISBN standard, ISO 2108:2017, is now in its 5th edition; it was amended to reflect ONIX 3.0 and for other purposes. They've clarified the advice about using ISBN to identify electronic publications. But read the Users' Manual, now in its 7th edition, and ISBN FAQs to the 7th edition.
  • Discussion about the history of ISBN has been improved. I also made minor changes to the history of barcodes.
I noted these various changes at CreateSpace community forums; the discussion I tried to start on BISAC 2017 edition didn't get posted. I should try again.

As always, I would really appreciate it if you would read this critically, pointing out embarrassing errors and sections that require clarification.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:33 am

Thank you for all the info. I noticed on the CS forum you posted that the ISBN manual and standard have been updated.

My thanks for sharing!
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 am

All right, Walton, I've been neglecting my duties to keep the self publishing world informed of the latest changes in preparing manuscripts for cataloging and identification.

Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication Program will offer a new method of submitting manuscripts for cataloging.

One account will be able to manage multiple publishers and imprints. This will make my life easier, perhaps, as I do this work on behalf of a number of very small publishers and self publishers. We're using the word "imprint" as used in the publishing word, as a brand name for a specific set of books published by the same publisher that may be marketed to a similar audience, and not the way CreateSpace uses the term.

The electronic galley can be a Microsoft Word document or .pdf. I'm not sure this one's a good idea. I may stick with the marked up text file for now.

Your ONIX metadata can be uploaded to pre-populate fields in the CIP application. Hooray! Does this mean a self publisher can load BISAC headings into the catalog record? Perhaps. BISAC isn't meant for library cataloging work, but the more descriptive information, the better.

It's going to be called PrePub Book Link. They haven't announced the date of availability.

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:08 am

I just glanced at the PCN site. Publishers participating in either CIP or PCN will use a common registration process. Right now, the forms are similar but their approved by different groups.

Fall is almost over, so I hope they get the new system up and running soon.

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Just got an email message. PrePub Book Link has been delayed until spring. The announcement was vaporware.