[FORMATTING] odt to mobi

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
walton
Site Admin

Re: [FORMATTING] odt to mobi

Post by walton » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:11 am

I won't link to as I'm not sure links are allowed, if you are talking about adding a link to a post here, you can! You can add links either using the link icon, or just type the complete URL into your text. When we were looking for forum software for this site, one of the features we wanted was being able have links, insert images, etc.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:50 am

So I hope I am now on the home stretch!!
I have completed the book in Sigil as it should be and even included a very simple style sheet to set margins I borrowed from a blog!
But KDP won't accept Sigil's epub.
So I am back at Calibre converting my epub to a .mobi.
Problem: how do I get rid of the automatic cover Calibre puts on the book? I have tried clicking remove cover on the image but then it seems to get put back in again when I view the book.
I don't want the Kindle to have two covers, especially as the Calibre one looks so awful.
Many thanks
Sonya

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 am

It seems that Amazon replaces the cover with the one you have uploaded unless you change the preferences and Enable the sharing of book content option when you are doing the mobi conversion.
Phew!! I have a feeling I am now in touching distance of the finishing line.
I am personally amazed at how many formats I have had to convert to plus having to learn Sigil and Calibre to finally end up with a Kindle.
At some point they will make that button on Createspace which says convert to a Kindle work well!!!
Hope this thread helps someone else.
Best wishes
Sonya

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:51 am

I have used Sigil several ways. One, I have coded the document in NotePad or WordPad, then copied it into Sigil. I have copied text directly into Sigil, then formatted things there. I have created an epub and opened it in Sigil, where I could tweak things.

As for images, I have added them in Sigil, I have opened epub files, with images in them, in Sigil.

As I sit here trying to say this is better than that, I realize I can't. Each method, as I recall, has it's own pros and cons.

But that is probably the good news. You can approach your project several ways, and any of them can work well.

Be prepared to trash the file you're working on and having to start over, at least for me, learning was trial and error. You might want to look for tutorials. I think the Sigil how-to file was less than complete
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Seisa

Post by Seisa » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:15 am

You should run your ePub file through http://validator.idpf.org/. If you get any errors, you need to correct them before uploading to KDP (or anywhere else).
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: https://sleepingcatpress.com

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks Seisa and Walton
Next time I will try running the book through the validator after using Sigil thank you.
Best wishes
Sonya

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:40 am

Just a general comment . . . considering what need to be done to make a good Kindle book, this is why those free or low cost conversions are not necessarily the way to go.

Let us know how things turn out. Good luck.
Walton