[MARKETING] Emailing Book & Music Stores

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
tagrich

[MARKETING] Emailing Book & Music Stores

Post by tagrich » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:25 am

At the moment my selling is almost totally concentrated on direct CS/IS/Amazon selling, plus some additional eBay business. Just before Christmas I received an enquiry from a North Carolina music store who were interested in stocking a selection of my titles. I sent them a list of my trade wholesale prices with varying prices based on the number of titles purchased. I didn't hear anything more from them until a couple of days ago when they ordered 13 of my books. This set me thinking that I'm probably missing out on a whole sector of additional sales. My question is what's the best way to approach stores around the US, UK, Canada, Australia etc. via email without them getting irritated that you're spamming them? Telephoning or snail mailing them isn't really an option as it would cost way too much (coming from the UK!).

So basically, what kind of email should I send? Should I send it at all? Should I include a pdf of my wholesale price list? A link to my website? Having never gone down this route, I've no idea what's the best approach to take to get results.

Tobe

walton
Site Admin

Re: [EMAILING BOOK & MUSIC STORES]

Post by walton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 am

For about three years I did emailings of my art. A new piece, a new mailing. I might have gotten a few pieces (maybe 3) in shows, here and abroad.

I set up an email account only for opting out, and put a link on the my emails so that people could easily get off my mailing list. Of about 6,000 addresses, I'd guess less than six opted out.

I both bought email lists, and I got them from books of galleries (e.g. attendees at PhotoExpo LA, etc.).

Would I do it again? Yes.

But the art market took a big hit after 9/11, and as the business re-grew so did spam. I may have quit too soon, I don't know.

My biggest problems were AOL (they limited the number of emails that they would accept from the same person in the same day); my ISP (I know that emails never got through, between rainy weather (why, I don't know), buffer overruns, etc., I was on the phone with them for hours, with almost every emailing; software (there are email programs/packages that make doing emailings relatively easy (they weren't around then, or I was unaware of them), relatively hard.

I would consider not only doing emailings for your books, but figure out a way to make your emailings worth reading for the music stores. Reviews of new products, recordings, etc. Articles about something pertinent. I don't know. Anything to attract their attention and keep them from just deleting their emails. I have been buying from Sweetwater since the early-mid 90's. They send out emails with discounted items, links to videos demoing new products, etc. I look at about 70% of them. But more, they keep the brand in my mind.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:46 pm

If you have a big enough collection of works, design a catalogue detailing each one, with reviews, USPs, links to videos etc, not just a price list.

Make sure the places you contact are relevant -- don't just scatter-gun every store with an email address listed on their website.

Include a cover letter in the email body, with a link to the catalogue (don't attach a massive PDF).
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

tagrich

Post by tagrich » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 am

Walton and Michelle,

Thanks a lot for the advice - it's given me a few ideas! At the moment I'm working on creating a trade-only page for my website. Most of it is done including a pdf downloadable price list, but I'm also going to include a pdf catalogue with book covers, titles and ISBNs. It'll be interesting to see if I get much business going down this route.

One minor issue regarding the trade-only section on the website is whether to leave it as a hidden page and only available as a link sent by me, or to have it as a regular menu option for anyone to see? I guess my fear with the latter is people might try to get huge discounts on books without actually being trade.

Tobe