[FORMATTING] Title Page

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Coral

[FORMATTING] Title Page

Post by Coral » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:44 am

(TITLE PAGE) I hope no-one minds me asking a question like this. Everything was perfect with the eproof of my paperback, except one thing. The title page was missing. Don't know why. I submitted it with the title page as part of the document, naturally. I'm trying to get IngramSpark to sort it out but it's taking a while. I need to buy my own copies and have them in my hand by February 25th, because there's a launch. This is making it take so much longer.
So I'd be curious to know what people think about this. Is not having a title page terribly, terribly unprofessional for a self-publisher? I have a professionally designed cover featuring endorsing quotes from established writers, a barcode, the publisher logo on the spine... but at the moment no title page, and urgency in getting this thing ready.

walton
Site Admin

Re: [FORMATTING] Title Page

Post by walton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 am

If the title page/copyright page were in the PDF you uploaded, they should be in the printed book. If the electronic proof was correct, again, proof is proof. This is too late, but the reason for ordering a printed proof (a CS vs KDP Print issue) is to see if everything print right before the book is published. My argument against the digital proof is that it is simply a modification of the uploaded PDF, so it is unlikely to tell you anything you don't already know.

It is odd that you'd be missing two pages . . . but then I've gotten p-op-d books where half the book was from another book entirely. Maybe somebody else's book ends with your title page!? Anyway, I don't have a good answer except that you should stay on it. I find Spark "curious" to work with: hard to get through to, better informed than CS's CustomerService, but kind of arrogant (maybe I just got a couple of duds). Please, keep us posted on this.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

danwiz

Post by danwiz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 am

You are surely not going to have copies in your hand on Feb 25. Not unless you pay for ALL of the premium services that IS offers and pay through the nose for those services. I just received an order from IS last week and it took just short of a month from my order to my receipt of the order. I selected standard production time, which took about 8 days, and I selected the only affordable shipping option - the least expensive one (with no tracking). Like I said, if you want faster, you'll have to pay more than you can sell your books for.
Dan'l, Moderator
Our Website http://danwiz.com
Our Book Titles http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:06 am

I was trying to be kind by not suggesting the 25 February is tad close! It is of course possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Several things to point out in general (assuming others are reading this, because you know): Always give such things as book launches way more time than you think you need, and then add a few weeks. There is a sense I get on the CS forum that Ingram/Spark can do not wrong; so it always amuses me when issues of quality, delivery, good customer relations come up. We need to realize p-o-d is p-o-d and it has certain inherent issues that have nothing to do with company policies. . . . and then there are company policies.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.