[Covers] How-to Build Your Own

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
walton
Site Admin

[Covers] How-to Build Your Own

Post by walton » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 am

I just finished the first 30 pages of a how-to for covers: http://www.12on14.us/free/covers_pt1_071917_locked.pdf

It's not complete, I need to add text on image adjustments and text. Then a part two on GIMP itself.

I chose GIMP because most people who ask about doing covers themselves don't seem to have Photoshop. My assumption is that if you spend $$$ on Photoshop, you are more inclined to learn how to use it.

Comments welcome.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Ozed

Re: [Covers] How-to Build Your Own

Post by Ozed » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 am

As it stands it's an excellent primer and worth every penny:-). Seriously I would buy a copy. Having something like that to hand when you struggle with something that is not going quite right, would be great.
I am reasonably au fait with layers in paint shop pro which I use, but if I have a gap between using it then I can forget how a particular process is done.

One small caveat. In the section on editing images you advise against practising with the cover that you want. I must confess that is what I do all the time. Only on the basis that if it works, then fine. If not we'll then I can save the practice and start again from scratch. Nothing lost except time and it is practice.

Cheers. Ed

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:45 am

I agree that most of us learn with the image we need to fix. But that can lead to extra learning time, due to unnecessary frustration. When people learn how to make jewelry work, for example, they generally practice on copper not gold. None of the gold need be lost, so it's not the cost: it's that we tend to be nervous and over concerned before out skills are developed if we're working on gold or the image we need. We are more relaxed when what we're working with isn't something we intrinsically care about.

And, thank you for the comments!
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Ozed

Post by Ozed » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:15 am

Jewellery making is not a good analogy for me.
Staying with the metal theme mine is more like panning for gold. Sometimes I strike lucky early on with all the elements fitting in to place in the way I had imagined, other times it takes a lot longer, and others, of course, it doesn't work st all and I move on.

Cheers. Ed