[FORMATTING] Cover problems Createspace

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Sonya

[FORMATTING] Cover problems Createspace

Post by Sonya » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:24 am

A friend of mine has made a cover for my new book.
She has sent me a .jpg version which converts into 3.4 MB pdf. I am concerned this is low quality as my last cover was 8.66 MB for the previous book I published on Createspace.
She has also sent me a .png version which converts into a much better 7.25 MB pdf.
The problem is that the .png version has the pink bleed areas marked on it. Walton has already replied to me in the Createspace forums (thank you) but I just need a bit of reassurance that it is okay to upload this as it stands. Not only does it have the pink bleed areas but it says things like Back 5.5 x 8.5 over the back photo image in grey writing and of course the yellow square for the barcode image.
The other plan would be to remove these mark ups and bleed areas in the .png but I don't know how to do that.
And I can't ask my friend as she is feeling a little over-imposed on as this is all a big favour.
Many thanks
Sonya

Sonya

Re: [FORMATTING] Cover problems Createspace

Post by Sonya » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:25 am

Sorry just saw I didn't follow the forum rules and apply a tag.

Seisa

Post by Seisa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:29 am

Most of us here are also on the CS forum, so you're not likely to get any different information here.

That said, as I noted in your CS post, if the template text and guides are showing in your image, then they'll likely print. Your friend needs to turn off the guide layer and re-export the cover, preferably as a print-ready PDF. Do these guides and text appear on the PDF when you convert it, or just in the PNG image?

Also, there shouldn't be any of the pink bleed area visible; your cover design should completely cover that area.
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: http://sleepingcatpress.com/store.html

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 am

Thanks Seisa. I can't really ask my friend to do that; would you say 3.4MB would provide a decent enough quality file for a cover?
I think I am probably over-worrying; it's just it's a much smaller file size than the 8MB I used before.
Have you uploaded cover files of a similar size and they've been fine?
Best wishes
Sonya

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:05 am

File size often varies according to the content, compressions quality, format, etc.

Solid White, 5 x 8 at 300 dpi, RGB:
JPG 248 KB
PSD 218 KB
TIF 66 KB
PNG 36 KB

A test image, 5 x 8, 300 dpi, RGB:
PSD 10.6 MB
TIF 8.4 MB
PNG 6.5 MB
JPG 3.4 MB

And the files sizes will vary when the image is converted to PDF by various programs (Photoshop, Acrobat, doPDF, etc.) and presets (PDF/X-1a, PDF?X-3, etc.).

Depending on what you are calling guidelines, CS my block your project until they are removed. Do you have access to the original working file (that is, with all its layers)?
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks Walton. No I don't have access to the original file.
She's a very good friend actually which is why I am being careful not to impose; she sent through the .jpg version which is totally fine - no bleed lines or anything and completely ready to print. I just had to convert it to a pdf and I think I am over-worrying; probably 3.4 MB is fine as a pdf. She's a bit surprised that I am struggling and I think that's my fault - I just don't want to mess up her lovely cover.
I'll just have a look at CS info and see if they say anything and then upload what I have.
Many thanks for your help.
Best wishes
Sonya

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:55 am

Assuming there is nothing that blocks the project, you will (or should) order a printed proof. If there is anything wrong with the cover, you'll know then and you can fix it.

Your book will only be available to the world if you: 1) approve the proof, and 2) enable distribution.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.