[FORMATTING] Fonts for Poetry Books

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
Noreen Snyder

[FORMATTING] Fonts for Poetry Books

Post by Noreen Snyder » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Hello everyone! I am Noreen. I have a question. For our first poetry book with CreateSpace, I used Times New Roman for the text and Kirsty for the Front and Back Cover, Title and headings. Now I read on CreateSpace Forum that Times New Roman is not a poetic font. Is Arial regular a good font for a poetry book? If not, which one? I need to find a free one. I looked on fontsquirrel.com.
Thank you all very much for your help!!!

Noreen Ann Snyder

garryandnoreensnyder.wixsite.com/poetry

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Hearts-One-N ... 1499632959

Seisa

Re: [FORMATTING] Fonts for Poetry Books

Post by Seisa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:01 am

Font selection is really a personal thing. What style of font looks best for your work, for the feeling you're trying to convey. You mentioned fontsquirrel. They're a great resource. I would poke around there and find a good font that suits your individual book.
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: http://sleepingcatpress.com/store.html

Noreen Snyder

Post by Noreen Snyder » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Thank you very much, Seisa, for responding. I will go back on Fontsquirrel and do more searching. Have a great night!

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Noreen Snyder wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:17 pm
Hello everyone! I am Noreen. I have a question. For our first poetry book with CreateSpace, I used Times New Roman for the text and Kirsty for the Front and Back Cover, Title and headings. Now I read on CreateSpace Forum that Times New Roman is not a poetic font. . . .
I could spend some time perusing fontsquirrel, so that's useful. Thanks.

As a matter of taste, Times New Roman isn't a favorite font. I don't care for the high x height. I like a bit more contrast with capital letters. It was designed for fast reading of text in a newspaper column. I've changed my font defaults so I don't even use it to write a business letter. I tend to use Baskerville and Garamond when available.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 am

Take a look at http://www.12on14.us/free/typography_gl ... 21817a.pdf, it's free.

Look at the books around you. Pick a few that could be models for you. My guess is that most poetry books are set in a serif font (e.g. TNR) not sans serif (e.g. Arial). Back in the beat/hippy days, you might find Courier (typewriter). Modern, stark poetry might also be set in a sans serif font. See how other designers solved problems.

FontSquirrel, FontSpace, daFont, are all pretty good font sites. FontSquirrel is probably the most conscientious at trying to keep their fonts both free and commercial free use. You'll probably find the most display fonts at daFont.

Poetry is hard to set well. I would design and print test pages. Trim them to size. Live with them.

What program are you working in? Word will not embed .otf fonts. You can use them, but you need to also use a PDF conversion program, you cannot use Word's Save as PDF feature.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Noreen Snyder

Post by Noreen Snyder » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Thank you very much, a-h-k, for your feedback! I sure do appreciate it!
Have a great night!

Noreen

Noreen Snyder

Post by Noreen Snyder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Thank you very much, Walton, for the link on typography. I am going to print out all 112 pages. I use OpenOffice for the interior and I use Gimp for the cover. It will take me a while before I finish our second poetry book with CreateSpace. Then after we get it published, I am thinking about doing ebooks too.
Once again thank you very much, Walton, for your advice! Have a great night!

Noreen Ann Snyder
Last edited by Noreen Snyder on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:04 am

If you're about to run out of ink, cannot you procure another squid from the fishmonger before that happens?

Noreen Snyder

Post by Noreen Snyder » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Yes, I have more ink and I can get more on the internet! I apologize if I wrote anything to offend anyone.
Have a great day!

Noreen

a-h-k

Post by a-h-k » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:55 am

Please tell us what font you ultimately choose.