[CREATESPACE] Services

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
jcw611

[CREATESPACE] Services

Post by jcw611 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:50 pm

I am at a point of formatting my book for CreateSpace and unfortunately I discovered today that, as of a few weeks ago, they no longer offer paid consultant services. When I tried to download what I had written into their template, the simple formatting of leaving no space between paragraphs and indenting all but the first paragraph of a chapter disappeared! The representative that I talked to on the "help" line indicated that "whatever you send us, that's what you'll get back."

Needless to say, I am very disappointed and am writing to ask if you could recommend another company for self-publishing.
Thanks

Seisa

Re: [CREATESPACE] Services

Post by Seisa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:08 pm

[Subject corrected with bracketed tag and then subject.]

You don't need to look for another printer (at least not yet). There are plenty of author services companies that provide the publishing-related tasks that authors don't have the skills or time for themselves (my company is one such).
Sarah, Moderator
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.holroyd.editing
https://www.facebook.com/SEHolroyd

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series: http://sleepingcatpress.com/store.html

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:27 pm

I am too busy to offer my services. But take a look at my free page, link below. I have quite a few tutorials that might help you if you want to tackle designing and formatting your book yourself.

The CS templates are problematic at best. They often download corrupted or become corrupted easily.

Unfortunately, the CustomerService people are not always well trained or experienced. And with the forum, they didn't really have to be. CS could rely on the forum for the kind of help they should have been providing.

I can sympathize with your frustration. I would not give up on CS. However, lots of people use both CS and Ingram Spark. Some use CS simply to proof books, others for paperbacks and Spark for hardbound. But wherever you go, printing and related services can always be an issue. To me, this is like anti-virus programs: what wins the awards today is at the bottom of the list in a month, then back up again. CS has a good product at a good price.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:58 pm

Fortunately there are lots of service providers around who can provide professionally formatted files that meet CreateSpace's requirements. We can do this affordably and with a quick turnaround, depending on the scope of the project. Shop around, and ask for samples of previous work to ensure you're happy with what they produce before you hire them.
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- where books are an adventure. See our latest releases: