[CREATESPACE] Help with colour book pricing

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
KIALea

[CREATESPACE] Help with colour book pricing

Post by KIALea » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks Walton for inviting me over from spam central...Here was my original post..

Hello i am a newbie here, have tried to search the forum with no luck, basically i am half way through writing a cook book and am looking at the possible self publishing next steps.

my kindle version will be in full colour, but for my print edition is it 7p per coloured page or 7p per all pages in the book? A potential 200+ pages, because i cant seem to work out how the calculator estimates my royalties to be -$8.15. Why would anyone sell at a loss and how can anyone afford to print in colour? I would like to have about 30 coloured pages obviously for a cook book people like to see what they are making.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Lea

walton
Site Admin

Re: [CREATESPACE] Help with colour book pricing

Post by walton » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:19 am

Glad to see you here!

You'll find we are fairly quiet . . . and nothing on the Vikings, at least not yer.

I replied to your post on CS . . . no ULRs, links, nuttin . . . short and sweet . . . and it was moderated!
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

KIALea

Post by KIALea » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 am

Thank you, would you agree that i shou;d jusy suck it up and go with create space as being the best self publsher for a newbie like me?

Just dont know if i should even bother with printing at b&w recipe book, it wont have the same pizzazz!! :S

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. I had the same problem/decision to make when I began writing my woodcarving journal. Wood Whisperer: My Woodcarving Journey. A full colour print book costs 4 x the B & W version. A 200+ page book would have been ridiculously expensive and no one would have bought it. I decided to break the book up into three volumes, two of which are published already and have attracted moderate sales. About 60-70 pages long each and retailing for about $15 USD for the print book, $3.99 USD for the Kindle. Needless to say, I have sold ten times more ebooks than their print counterparts. A good review by a respected authority helped. I would imagine that the same approach might be beneficial for yourself?
Cheers,
Joe.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:55 pm

It's 7 cents per page for the whole book, not just the coloured pages.

It's worth doing a cost comparison using the calculator at IngramSpark. They have a cheaper "Standard Colour" option, which is great for books with minimal colour density. Rich photos can appear a little dull or experience "banding". HOWEVER, I met with my local rep just after new year and she said Ingram is upgrading their equipment so that there will be little noticeable difference between the Standard and Premium printing, so depending on when you plan to publish, it could be a more viable option.

IngramSpark also enables distribution beyond Amazon from as little as 30% wholesale discount, whereas CreateSpace requires a 60% discount, which can mean pricing your book out of the market.
Michelle (Forum Moderator)

Odyssey Publishing -- affordable editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- where books are an adventure. See our latest releases:

KIALea

Post by KIALea » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:31 am

Phoenix wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 pm
Hello and welcome to the forum. I had the same problem/decision to make when I began writing my woodcarving journal. Wood Whisperer: My Woodcarving Journey. A full colour print book costs 4 x the B & W version. A 200+ page book would have been ridiculously expensive and no one would have bought it. I decided to break the book up into three volumes, two of which are published already and have attracted moderate sales. About 60-70 pages long each and retailing for about $15 USD for the print book, $3.99 USD for the Kindle. Needless to say, I have sold ten times more ebooks than their print counterparts. A good review by a respected authority helped. I would imagine that the same approach might be beneficial for yourself?
Cheers,
Joe.
Thanks Joe, that’s actually what i hve been thinking . I hve looked at an 80 page book in 8x10 still and i would be able to perhaps put some pic collageg in and then cram as many of the fave recipes in as possible and call it the “ “paperback lite edition” something of that origin making £2 per book sold at 8.50. And hope to promote / sell more kindle copies where the royalties would be greater. I could then release a 2nd edition with the other recipes i suppose.

KIALea

Post by KIALea » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 am

Michelle wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:55 pm
It's 7 cents per page for the whole book, not just the coloured pages.

It's worth doing a cost comparison using the calculator at IngramSpark. They have a cheaper "Standard Colour" option, which is great for books with minimal colour density. Rich photos can appear a little dull or experience "banding". HOWEVER, I met with my local rep just after new year and she said Ingram is upgrading their equipment so that there will be little noticeable difference between the Standard and Premium printing, so depending on when you plan to publish, it could be a more viable option.

IngramSpark also enables distribution beyond Amazon from as little as 30% wholesale discount, whereas CreateSpace requires a 60% discount, which can mean pricing your book out of the market.
Thank you michelle, i will have a look at ingram now. I should imagine i wont be ready for print for about 4 months.

KIALea

Post by KIALea » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:12 am

walton wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:19 am
Glad to see you here!

You'll find we are fairly quiet . . . and nothing on the Vikings, at least not yer.

I replied to your post on CS . . . no ULRs, links, nuttin . . . short and sweet . . . and it was moderated!
Hi walton, you mention on my other kdp post about a publisher that does black and white and colour print but i cant find the post now?

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 am

I'm sure there are others, but check out 360Digital: http://wbsusa.com/index.php/books-arti ... gitalbooks

From my recollection:
  • they have a 25 book minimum
  • they do not tie into Amazon directly, you would use Amazon Advantage (you have the same kind of page as you would using CS, no one could see the difference), and you would keep a stock of book in Amazon warehouse(s) . . . 360 Digital has a fulfillment service to help
  • they do color tip ins as well as offer many more choices in interior paper stock and cover material, etc.
  • they work through reps, so you talk to real people who know real things
Because they offer so many choices, they do not (did not) have a simple cost sheet or system. You get your cost through the rep. I have not used them. I've tried, I've mentioned them to clients, but so far no one I've worked with has used them. If you do talk with them, let us know what they say.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

KIALea

Post by KIALea » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:34 am

Thank you walton, you are most helpful :)