[COVERS] Advice on options

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
David Wake

[COVERS] Advice on options

Post by David Wake » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 am

Does anyone have any experience of these various websites for getting a cover? Fiverr, DeviantArt, 99Designs and so on? Recommendations? Advice? What to avoid?

I've three near-future police procedural SF books and a fantasy trilogy in the pipeline.

walton
Site Admin

Re: [COVERS] Advice on options

Post by walton » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:15 am

Years ago I was active on Deviant Art, Artbistro, Epilogue, and Renderosity, and several other art sites no longer around (but not Fiverr or 99Designs). Artists have a personal gallery. Artists have work in various site galleries. Some work is indicated as being for sale or free, often in the site galleries. There will usually be terms of use indicated somewhere. For other work, you have to contact the artists and work out whatever arrangements are mutually acceptable.

Epilogue is a sci-fi/fantasy art site. As I write this, I have no idea if they are still around, but it was a great site.

Very generally: If you contact an artist and have something done specifically for you . . . a work for hire . . . in the US you would own the copyright, unless there is a contract/agreement/understanding to the contrary. If you use an existing work, the artist holds the copyright and you are buying some rights: non-exclusive right to publish, print-on-demand, etc.

There are sample artist contracts on-line. Take a look at some to get an idea of what to be aware of.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:36 am

I've had several clients who have used https://www.selfpubbookcovers.com/ and their covers looked good. You may be looking for just images, but they're worth mentioning.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi David,
One of the moderators on this forum; Michelle, created my last book cover for me which I was very pleased with.
Joe.
dd-cover-wrap low res.jpg
dd-cover-wrap low res.jpg (65.28 KiB) Viewed 6673 times

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:13 am

Thanks for the pointers - any more?

I couldn't find Epilogue.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:54 am

http://www.epilogue.net/

They are still around. I won best of something there many years ago. They I got harangue by several members about my use of perspective. That went on long enough for me to just leave.
Walton

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 am

walton wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:54 am
They I got harangue by several members about my use of perspective.
They had no sense of perspective about your perspective then.

Thanks, I've had a quick look and I'll have a proper look later.

tagrich

Post by tagrich » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:09 pm

David,

I haven't any direct experience of using Fiverr for cover design work, but can comment on Fiverr in a general sense. I've used Fiverr for both translation services and voice over work and on the whole the quality has been generally pretty good. You can get a good idea of the person you're dealing with fairly quickly and if you're likely to strike up a useful working relationship. The advantage here is if the end product isn't particularly impressive, it hasn't cost you very much simply giving it a go.

To give you an example of the work I've farmed out to a translator on Fiverr:
https://www.amazon.fr/Bible-dAccords-Ca ... 912087839/

The cover design is my own, but every word on the cover, in the Amazon blurb and in the book is the work of a translator. If you used a translation company, you'd be looking at a pretty high quote for the work. This cost me a fraction of that.

David Wake

Post by David Wake » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:12 am

Fiverr is on my list of possibles, thanks.